Coming Soon...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ed Call, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    Coming Soon to an estuary or river system near you...are you ready? Is your gear ready?

[IMG]
  2. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Well, I'm ready to greet them in the "S" rivers come November. Still have plenty of leaders tied-up from last year, and an 8 wt they can try to break. No chumly for me last year. Rumor has it the runs are better opposite of Pink years. Hope so.
  3. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 4
    I'm really hoping to get after some chums this year. I had planned on it last year, but it just never worked out. Plus I never really new where to chase them in this area, other than Chico. That reminds me, I may have to look for a new reel for my 8 wt soon.
  4. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    REALLY looking forward to chums this year, but still looking for an 8wt. anyone target chums from a boat in the salt?
  5. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    i got an 8wt and submitted application to baker
  6. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Bring it.
  7. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I was born ready! Got my 10 wt single and 10/11 15' spey for dem sucka's!:cool:
  8. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    I'm almost ready. Still waiting for the boat to get done but it should be any day now. I'll have a seat or two when it's back in the shed. I have my 9 wt. ready to fish and I'm tying flies today.
  9. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Bring 'em on! Last year I kind of tanked on the chum, so I'm hoping this year will be different. I was wondering if it had to do with the flooding we had a few years ago? I haven't fished for these guys out of Seattle (moved up from Oly), so if anyone wants to take me out to a chum spot or two, I'm buying beers!
  10. bugwhippersnapper New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've never fished for salmon with a fly rod- do y'all think using a 6wt for chums is too optimistic?
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9

I don't think a 6wt is the best tool for the job. If you go that light you had better have a good warranty. That is just my two cents.
  12. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    IMHO yes, you are being too optimistic. I think most folks consider an 8 wt at risk if they are not careful. There will be other opinions.

Welcome to the forum!
  13. bugwhippersnapper New Member

Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the input and the welcome, guys. I figured as much... guess I'll just have to get two new rods. That's more important than rent, right?
  14. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I've caught many chum on my TFO 7wt, but I wouldn't go to a 6wt. Makes a big difference if your in a river or the salt too. And for those that think I played them too long, I didn't. Just gave the rod a GOOD work out!!
  15. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I too have caught many chummies on my 7wt TFO. I'd rather be using an 8wt but I don't have one.
    I plan to fish the local estuary from my little boat this year to avoid the crowds. I'll have an extra seat when the time comes.
  16. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    I've caught lots of chumsters on my 696
    Sage RPL....never felt under gunned although
    a fighting butt would be nice. The fishing
    gods got me an 8 weight GLoomis (thanks BS) which I'll
    use this year for the doggies.
    Dave
  17. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I used a 6wt Ticrx w/fighting butt all last year and was the best dog year ever! I was too lazy to try to find an 8wt. I honestly tried to break my rod on those dogs and my rod kept coming back. The Ticrx is a seriously STRONG rod, but after about 2 minutes into the fight, it gets boring and you want to just get the fish in and try to catch another. With the 6wt it takes a while to bend the fish in, with an 8wt its half the effort. Going with the 8 wt this year.

Check out the pic of the dog I got on my 6.. View attachment 34483
  18. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

I'm' ready and started tieing today, had some left. I sure could use a seat if they aren't alll spoken for. I've got to find my old pics to compare with new if any. I think that was before my digital in Oregon.
  19. bugwhippersnapper New Member

Seattle, WA
    That's a lot of really helpful input, all, really clears things up. I spoke with Jim at Patrick's and he strongly recommended an 8 for the salt, so looks like that's the way I'll go. My 4wt's a good rod, but I'm just askin to get bent over using it out there, in a couple ways.
  20. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    OK, for those of you who need to see the backing on your reel, I'm giving up one good secret chum spot: Hwy 101 just N of the Skokomish River bridge. ;) If you can't get those chums crossing the hwy to bite, you might get an incidental hookup with an SUV or semi rig.:rofl:
    I'll probably have to drive up to the Canal or Sound for my fix, since the chum population has crashed hard out here on the coast in Grays Harbor and in Willapa Bay over the last few years.

I need to get a reel and new line for my 8wt.