Commissioners Meeting Topics

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by _WW_, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Add a skagit river endorsement to my license valid for the CNR season exactly like the col tribs to help pay for more eyes on the river checking barbs and creeling boat ramps and issuing tickets to those who aren't complying. Seems to work for the methow, Wenatchee etc. Permits seem widely accepted among steelheaders to fish special rivers. Look at BC. People pay the col trib endorsement to stand elbow to elbow at miller hole on the methow and harvest some ragged brats. What an experience!

jake-e-boy likes this.
  2. Sean Beauchamp

Steelhead are expensive you pay to play no matter what nothing is free. I can only imagine how much I've racked up on ferry costs to and from the coast in the last 5 years. Really stings when you trailer a boat. But I accept it as part of the package. Just as I justify Spey rods, reels, rvrfshr spoons, seaguar, owner hooks, etc. A skagit river endorsement whether $10 or $110 ends up being a wash in the big picture. And is even easier to justify if the money is used to monitor the fishery and give me opportunity.

3. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

hell i don't even fish the skagit and i would buy a skagit endorsement, well put sir

4. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Wayne -
    In regards to "monitoring" I would answer their questions with our own. What sort of monitoring goes on in other DPSs; Eel river in California or SW Washington. How does the status of the Skagit steelhead at suggested fishing levels (over 6,000 spawners) compare with other listed populations?

I would suggest that given the conservative and buffered management of Skagit wild winter steelhead that in-season might not be required. Rather annual spawning escapements and post season survey of those anglers that fished (require the anglers to register with contact info and successful completion of said survey required to be eligible for the next season) would provide post season info on overall impacts.

Curt

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I would pay for a Skagit River Endorsement! Just got my new license yesterday with the Columbia trib's endorsement. Gonna his the Klick in June for sure and may do some fishing on the Columbia this year.

plaegreid likes this.
  6. Which is why I suggested might be easily dodged with a simple: "if there ever is a fishery we are willing to pay extra money for an endorsement to cover some of the monitoring costs" after the management plan is covered instead of demanding NMFS should pay for everything at a later date. Sell it to WDFW and work out the details later. They obviously don't need the science, just a kick in the butt and a wake up call. At NOF this week the tribes are demanding every current fishery where Steelhead may be encountered be creeled which essentially could be year-round in the Skagit. Not that it will ever happen but it goes to show that monitoring is a VERY BIG detail surrounding Steelhead these days. I agree that exact monitoring details for a Skagit C&R season isn't that important right now but if you would rather take your time with the monitoring bullet itself then WDFW will take their time and so on and so on. You already have a few responses from folks on here willing to pay and you know there are a bunch more out there. It's your baby Wayne and however you want to proceed is up to you, it's worked thus far. My hat is off to you and everybody else involved.

Curt,

I like your idea about anglers filling out forms or checking in during the season but processing all that data will cost some, though much less than creeling!

7. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

I have paid 420 dollars to BC in lcences to fish this year. I hope to spend more next year. I'd love to pay to fish the Skagit too. This is America, If you want a good or service you pay.

Go Sox,
    cds

Ed Call likes this.
  8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

How much in gas and other costs Charles? Shame the US and WDFW pushes those dollars north of the border.

9. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

I have not figured out all the costs as I think that the license fees show what a man may be willing to pay for monitoring.

Also I got a lot of booze across the border and thats really what costs up there.

Go Sox,
    cds

Ed Call likes this.
  10. Sean Beauchamp

Some stuff came up at work I got a deadline to make, I'm not gonna be able to make my 3 minutes count tomorrow as planned. Super bummed but such is life in this industry. Is there a specific channel to take to submit comments, etc via email???

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

On my way! Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple of hours.