Comparison of hovers and intermediate lines?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by charlesasmith, Feb 11, 2013.

1. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I like a couple of quick strips to get a prey-chasing response from any predator. I would expect a quick strip would produce a pop from the indicator which is only a foot or two from the fish when fished where a hover line would be used. If the fish is aggressive that might help or be ignored but if the fish is spooky I could see it putting the fish off. Just my two cents.

I'll have to see your sheepshead technique in person Ira. Supposedly the most difficult fish to fool on a fly around here and they're super tasty too.

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Don't let the term "slip indicator" fool you. To be honest, I can't even remember the last time my indicator popped when setting the hook to a fish, let a lone giving the fly quick strips. This past Saturday not a single fish popped my indicator, something Ira can attest to since he had to help me with damn near every one. You can strip the fly as quickly as you want, it's seldom going to pop the indicator.

3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    He meant a popping sound not a popped indicator. In that shallow I would likely not pop or move my indicator at all. Fish in shallow are there for a reason, they are looking for food and when they find it they rarely ever need an incentive to eat it. I personally don't believe I've ever experienced a fish being frightened by my indicator and I've fished a fairly large indicator in as little as 6" of water maybe less with the fly only a couple of inches under that.

Now snook on the other hand, I think those Florida snook were better trained than the ones I fished for in Ascension Bay, when spotted the guides would splash their hands in the water as loud as they could to encourage the snook to come out to investigate.

4. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Bang on with my intended meaning of popping the indicator Ira.

I think Florida snook respond well to smaller splashes. IMHO any splash that's smaller than a typical predator of the fish will make the fish investigate as it might be prey. The hull of my flats boat is known for being a little slappy in a chop but I actually think that helps bring in predators (snook, barracuda, jacks, tarpon) even if it does scare away prey species like mullet or bonefish. :) I'm going to quote your Ascension Bay comments on Florida forums Ira as that validates my theory that the smaller splashes are attractive to snook. Turning on a trolling motor does seem to spook everything though.