Conduit Pontoon Frame?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Runejl, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
    I work as an instrument tech and recently had to run some conduit. The shop I work in has a automatic bender that will bend any type of metal pipe up to inch and a half diameter. As I was working the job I realized that I could very easily bend this Rigid 3/4 inch conduit and use other condulet fittings to build a pontoon boat frame. One of the cool things is how easily I could make adjustments and tweek the design with readily accesible materials.

Anybody have any advice against this? Im not sure what strength metal the companies such as Outcast use, but I have walked on multiple pieces of 3/4 before without a problem. That was in the air with nothing to give like water / pontoons underneath.

Anybody have a design that I should try out? Otherwise I might just mitate my Pac 900 frame and try to adapt to larger tubes. I have a 9 foot and wouldnt mind 10 foot toons. Anyone know where I could puchase these?

Thanks,
    Josh

2. jbrodie

jbrodie New Member

I think the frame would be very heavy and not worth the trouble.

3. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    spend the money for aluminum, then come up and use my tig and spool gun after dry fitting all the pieces..

If you do make one your self then don't ever take it on moving water imho.

4. montnative

montnative born and raised in the Beartooths

Look at the pontoon build thread in this forum. I built that toon frame out of 3/4" light gauge conduit. it works great for frame for use in toons and rafts. most frames are built with 1" conduit but for a single man toon 3/4 is fine. let me know if you have any questions. Plus if you look around the WFF site you can get a lot of good ideas for your frame.:thumb:

5. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Are you saying that your using 3/4 EMT conduit and not 3/4 Ridged?

6. montnative

montnative born and raised in the Beartooths

yeah it's the EMT light gauge conduit.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Your local Outcast dealer should be able to order the pontoons. I have a set coming from my local source for $200 (10' round) to replace my old and battered 9' round ones. If you think you want to go this route, PM me and I'll send a copy of the email from Outcast Customer Service with the part number and price. Having that may keep your store from jacking up the price.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Oh, I saw a pretty large fella on a lake with a toon frame made of PVC pipe, I'm sure there are options that can make it strong enough if you choose to go that route. Some builds may weigh more or less and be more or less durable. Whatever works for you, I think this guy came into the tubing because of a construction job he worked. (Read: he got the tubing for free).