Cones for stripping baskets

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

In the past I have used egg shell foam to put on the bottom of a mesh stripping basket. It helped quite a bit to minimize line tangling. Recently I started using solid cones and this setup has almost elininated line tangles more so than the egg shell foam.

The photos show the setup. The cones are corn cob handles(got idea from a previous thread) that can be bought from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They are attached to 1/4 inch plywood with stainless steel screws.

The reason that I use a mesh stripping basket is for trips to Mexico and for hiking to stream fishing locations. It is easy to pack into a suitcase(cones can be unscrewed) or backpack when folded up.

Roger

Attached Files:

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Before I bought my Orvis basket, I made one with Large wire nuts, screwed and glued in. Problem is they are expensive. The corn cob thingys is a great idea!

3. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    I really like Roger's idea. I carry a mesh stripping basket on my kayak, and a platform with corn-cob handles would be a great addition. I'm also thinking that the platform might help control line when I'm casting from the kayak.

I used corn-cob handles on the bottom of a plastic wash basket for several years. This year I bought an Orvis stripping basket with the molded cones, and like it a lot better than any of my home-made ones. I like the small mesh bag when I need something portable.

Tom

4. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Great idea Roger.
    I built my own basket too and so far it has been working out okay.

5. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

These are my latest favorite. Painter's Pyramids from Hyde. A good height and a good taper. I suspect the tetrahedron is the optimal shape as it has the fewest edges (3) and hopefully the least contact with the line so therefore the least drag. We need someone to build a stripping basket tester. :)

[​IMG]

6. TD

TD Active Member

When I first read the topic of this thread, I immediately pictured some dude wading a saltwater beach with a trimmed down traffic cone strapped to his waist hanging down around his knees.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  7. pirate

pirate Member

I have a mesh William Joseph stripping basket and use plastic bird spikes from Daiso as cones to keep my line organized.

8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I copied a do it yourself stripping basket using an IKEA kids foot stool. It calls for ink pen caps from the Dollar Store for cones. The total cost of the homemade stripping basket is less than $10.

9. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    I like it!

10. Elkman

Elkman Ryan

I was drug to Ikea one day last year. My wife grabbed a kids stool for our kids... and I looked at it... turned it over... and was like ... stripping basket!!

I bet if you can find some of those tuppeware homemade Popsicle kits. Epoxy a couple of the cone things down.. and it would work great.