Connecters/loops for fly line?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Roby, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Roby New Member

Sedro Woolley, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    What type of loops are you guy's using to connect sink tips to your existing fly line?

Roby
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,535 / 9
    Welded loop to welded loop.
  3. Roby New Member

Sedro Woolley, WA
    That's what i thought. Me and silverbullet tried it today and it just doesn't seem like it would hold. Is there any other ways that are just as good?

Roby
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    What do most fly lines have on the ends? Welded loops. What do most commercially prepared tips have on the end? Welded loops. Lots of other ways, but not as common. If you are having trouble with the welding part, there is a lot to be learned about how to get it done right. Could be worth the money to buy a set of what you need for the immediate fishable future. You could also use the double catch braided loops, inchworm them onto the line ends/tip ends, nail knot in place and you are set. You can also make your own loops by folding them over and whip finishing them, then top coating the thread wraps. Lots of ways to skin this cat, but loop to loop works and has found its way onto most conventional systems...just sayin'.
  5. Roby New Member

Sedro Woolley, WA
    Ya it sure looks to be the most common i guess we will just have to try to learn how to do it.

Thanks for your help, Roby
  6. Roby New Member

Sedro Woolley, WA
    Does anyone know if Pacific fly shop can make welded loops for you?

Roby
  7. Mike Active Member

Someplace between here and there
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Welded loops are nice especially when they are done by the factory. But for a connection that needs to feed thru the guides frequently, they are to bulky and catch on the guides. Braided loops form a narrower loop to loop connection. They travel more smoothly thru the guides and are very durable when done correctly. The problem is that you need to do them yourself. To learn to do braided loops take a look at the current issue of "Fly Fishing Salt Waters". They have an article on making braided loops. Or go to Blanton’s site and read “Getting Looped”.
  8. Roby New Member

Sedro Woolley, WA
    Cool thanks for the link.

Roby
  9. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    thanks for the help guys. we were stumped with the welding lol. just tired of the perfection loop snagging on the guides.
  10. Bianca Piaggio New Member

Seattle, WA
    They sell these little eyes that attach to the fly line like a Chinese Finger puzzle that I use. I got a 27 bazillion pack of them at the Orvis store. They work great.
  11. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    To be honest, any knot will snag on guides. It will depend on the type of knot and the what you are trying to connect. the bulkier the stuff is, the more problamtic it is.

great questions.
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    If it is perfection loop issues, coat and taper the knot with some UV Knotsense or some similar glue. Coat the knot with a small amount of glue and draw down some on the line itself, tapering the profile of the knot to allow a more smooth transition through the guides.
  13. Roby New Member

Sedro Woolley, WA
    Thanks for all the help guys.

Roby
  14. Loren Jensen Active Member

i'm gonna give it a practice run with shoe goo lol
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I've not used shoo goo, but use it if you've got it. A little dab will do ya! Too much at first and you've got a mess. Not enough and you can add another light coating. Good luck.
  16. Loren Jensen Active Member

thanks man. do you think this will work? i was gonna do it on a chunk of line just to see how much glue i will need
  17. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I guess it could work. Not familiar with how shoe goo works on pvc or pu lines. Sorry, not much help there, maybe some of our chemists? A tube of UV knotsense and some sunlight (apply in the shade or inside, then expose to sunlight or a UV pen light) really does the knot coating trick. Knots are big though, bigger than welded loops. Welding is awesome, just takes a bit of practice to get it down. A local shop can teach you, probably sell you a kit and get you going.
  18. Loren Jensen Active Member

ok i will experiment and if it works i will let you know! thanks mumbles
  19. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    I make my own loops. I can make them as small as I want and no hang-up what so ever:

[IMG]

But, my next choice would be the braided.
  20. DaveH New Member

Eastern wa
    I just made a loop today, using grey tying thread and CA. I folded the line over, coated it lightly with medium thick CA, wrapped it with thread and hit it with kicker. That is to say, sprayed on a some accelerator to force a cure and avoid the mess. Its really strong. Blue's looks cooler, though, with that red stuff.......