connecting T14

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Stosiak, Dec 15, 2007.

1. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Media:
    Usually just loop the T-14 get a Nail Knot Tool and tye two Nail Knots to make the loop with Kevlar thread. These have been proven to work on some pretty big ass rocks and some 40 lb kings too.

2. trekker

trekker Member

So after you have made the loop on the t-14, do you just loop the head to the t-14?

Total Newb !

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I belive so, that is how factory tips are connected, loop to loop with the head of the line. You've just made your own out of T-11, T-14 or T-17 to suit your needs.

4. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    fold it over on itself by one inch or more if desired. a couple wraps of kevlar or big fly thread where you want the loop to begin, a couple drops of super glue where you knotted the thread. slide over heat shrink tubing from lowes or depot (1/32?) apply heat, go fishing.

5. Chukar Spey

Chukar Spey I'll take Chukar & Steelhead all day, every day!

Was talking to Al Buhr at the Clearwater Clave last year (and yes get the book WELL worth it). When I asked him to do a demo on the T-lines he obliged and finessed it like no other. I told him I was impressed and thought it was a great teaching aid to see it done right (and not fast mind you).

I then asked him if that is what he did on his lines, he smiled and said he liked to fish and not mess with all this jazz on the water. Most of what he did was similar to what was posted earlier. Shave, loop, nail-knot, wrap, etc...

The exception was the glue. He swore up and down, left and right, Loctite 406 was the glue to use. Geared specifically to the types of materials in fly lines, flexible, among other reasons I have now forgot. Since then, I threw all my Zap-A-Gap away and only use Loctite 406, I did notice a difference too.

So all you ZapGap lovers...give a try...if you can find it :thumb:

6. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    I also strip off some coating and use the 2 nail knot system to create a loop, but I'll tie the first nail knot with the core-only section of the T-14 and then a second nail knot with some maxima.

7. Ed Call

Media:
    Sorry for an uneducated follow on, but is the coating on the heavy sinking lines weldable using the heating methods that are employed for standard fly lines? I've been folding this tip material over and nail knotting or putting on a braided catch loop and nail knotting that in place. A welded loop seems to be more streamlined through the guides. Thanks again.

8. willj

willj New Member

Tallflyguy, thanks for the pics. How do you strip the coating on the t14? I tried making some tips that way kind of, but had a hard time nicking the core. Thanks, Will

9. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    Take a section of 30# leader, create a knot in the middle of the leader, insert T, tighten the knot down on the T and pull the leader down stripping the coating. Repeat as neccessary.

If I'm at home I use a pair of wire strippers.

10. willj

willj New Member

thanks Brett, sounds easy enough:)

11. Chukar Spey

Chukar Spey I'll take Chukar & Steelhead all day, every day!

Mumbles,

Tungsten impregnated material is weld-able. Check out Speybums posts again as he alludes to the differennce between melting and coalecense points.

Yeah...I can't spell.

12. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Not sure if this is a first, perhaps someone else has done this before me, but here is what I found to be the easiest and only requires a section of mono or amnesia.

I call it the "Double Nail Knot Loop", if you look at the pictures and are familiar with the nail knot principle you should be able to figure this out pretty easy. Pictures shown, are on an oversized loop for running line to head attachment, but the priciple is the same for the smaller loops. Experiment with loop size though, I find a little larger loop ends up smoother.

James.

13. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    Ed, we can make this just as hard and time consuming as we like, but re-read Cal Fuller's remarks.
    Yes, T- material is weldable, but it's a PITA for me and the ol' double nail knot works fine. I like to carefully shrink a little 1/16 over the knots, but not necessary.

14. Ed Call

Media:
    Spaz, re-read Cal's post in it full simplicity. I'm going to use the Keep It Simple Stupid method. I've seen guys just double back a loop and whip finish their loop into the material. Thanks for trying to keep me grounded!

15. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    James, it looks like your system could fail because all that has to fail is the integrity of the coating on the T-line. I have found it fairly easy to strip the coating. Have you had them fail? Also if you use that to attach to the head of the spey line, does it hinge at the three inch long amnesia loop, or does it work fine?

16. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Ryan, this thing has never failed for me. I do a pretty thorough pull test on it while I'm cinching things tight. As far as hinging hasn't been an issue at all. I only use the long loop for the end of the running line to make head changes easier. For all other loop to loop connections make the loop as small as a half inch. It's cheap, it's simple and very strong!

Build one and see for your self!

James.

17. trekker

trekker Member

Alright. Now how do you connect the leader to the T-14?

18. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    Nail knot loop... Tie in some 20-30 pound Mono with a nail knot, tie a perfection loop to the other end of the mono about 4 inches away...

19. jpugs

jpugs New Member

I saw "lead core" fishing line for sale at Outdoor Emporium in the non fly line aisle and am wondering if anyone has used that to make sinking lines instead of the T's. Am guessing that it is not as pliable as the T's.

20. Ed Call

Media:
    trekker, if you make a few varied length tips you can always just nail knot a leader or level length of your preferred leader material right to the T-14.

jpugs, in some areas there is a lead core line restriction.