Cooking Chum Salmon?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Trapper Badovinac, May 30, 2013.

1. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    My favorite Pacific Salmon are Sockeye. I have a variety of recipes and I like them all. My favorite is to grill them on a water soaked cedar plank with some oil, minced garlic, spices, and onion rings.

I've also cooked and ate Silvers, Pinks, and Kings.

When I've been to Alaska, most people seemed to avoid eating the Chum (aka Dog Salmon because that's what the Natives feed their dogs, or so I heard). I found the Chum fun as hell to catch, but I never ate any.

Am I missing a good thing? I hear Chum are becoming very popular.

Trapper

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Excellent smoked.

bennysbuddy likes this.
  3. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Maybe salmon cakes with seasonings, cracker meal, green onions, garlic and celery?
    I'll have to try that on a Pink this year.

4. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Cook your chum salmon on the cedar plank then toss the salmon and eat the plank :)

Leland.

5. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

If you're eating restaurant salmon, it is likely to be keta, aka chum/dog... take care of it properly, then cook it properly, it is quite tasty.

6. joellirot

joellirot Member

it's been a while since i had any - but i like chum better than humpies.

and Leland beat me to the punch...

7. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    I ate Keta from Safeway in college. Tasted fine.

8. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Alaska shore lunch; whatever you're catching. If it happens to be Chum Salmon, fine.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I prefer fresh chum. Bars on them are ok, just look up into the cheeks by gills and see what color the meat inside is. Usually if it's a nice pinkish color, it's a keeper (even with bars, since they change so early). Yes, we smoked a lot of them. Must be done FRESH. Can't freeze them successfully IMHO and defrost then cook. But fresh chum smoked is fantastic. Guess the best way to say it (and what I've said for years on chums) if the belly is white, it's your bellies delight, if the belly is black, toss that fish back.

BUT, there is another way I'll cook it. Shocked me first time I had it this way almost 3 decades ago (damned, it's almost been that long????, I'm feeling old). My then Dad's new girlfriend (later his wife) loved salmon, but never got any. Of course, was salmon season, chums in thick, so gave her some of our fresh stuff. She invited us over for dinner. Mind you this was chrome bright and bright pink fleshed chum. What she did is de-skin it, de bone it, and cube it. Then bread it and deep fry it. Served with tarter sauce was pretty damned good. Haven't had it in awhile, mostly because they haven't had a retention season on them in a few years. But it was pretty damned tasty.

10. ribka

ribka Active Member

I catch chum in Dec on the Nisqually. There are very fresh. I bleed out immediately and put on ice.

I cook on cedar plank and they do eat very well.
    I also smoke them up and are very good smoked

Proper prep and care is key as with most game and fish

11. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

You can bread and deep-fry bear scat and it'd probably taste pretty good! ;)

For chum and pinks I think the secret is to bleed/clean/ice right away. I still think they're best in the smoker!

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    MT,

You're never going to hear many kind words about chum salmon from true salmon snobs. Being fortunate enough to have really good salmon, I am one. Bay or tidewater chum fresh on the grill is good eating. It just isn't as good as most chinook, sockeye, or coho. Chums do smoke up well. They are low in lipid content, and that is why they are never as tasty as the other 3 species. They are rapidly converting their limited supply of fat into eggs and sperm even before entering freshwater. Many chums spawn and die within 10 days of entering freshwater, and in larger and longer river systems, maybe twice that long. Consequently they never develop the significant lipid stores that fish with long freshwater migrations or long freshwater holding periods do. And that is why chum, like pink salmon, remain low on the quality index as table fare.

Another one to beware of is chinook. Not all chinook are equal as table fare either. Tule fall chinook that make short migrations and enter freshwater well developed sexually aren't worth taking home IMO. Spring, summer, and certain fall chinook like Columbia River Upriver Brights are out of this world table fare. Similarly, early run Fraser sockeye are better than late run and better than most Alaskan sockeye for the same reasons. Longer migrations and longer freshwater holding periods make for better quality salmon on the table, or in the smoker. Lower quality fish get a pass when smoked because the brine and smoke modify and add to the flavor so much that the basic fish ingredient is significantly masked.

Sg

plaegreid and MT Trapper like this.
  13. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nah, tried it in camp about 10 years ago, still tasted like shit. ;)

David Prutsman and Dipnet like this.
  14. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    Salmo_g - Thanks for that great information. As an inland guy I'm in the dark about salmon.

Trapper

15. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

Fresh chrome chum is a great fish. Catch, bleed, gut, scale, slab off fillet, place skin sides back to back slather both sides with mayo, the full fat kind, salt, pepper, lemon and onion on both sides, wrap in foil, throw on grill at medium heat for 10 minutes, turn for another 10, enjoy