cooking in the stix

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Alex MacDonald, Apr 22, 2014.

1. I've been thinking about elk camp this year, and making things easier, quicker, and more varied. And since at home, I cook primarily Asian and French dinners, I'm looking to adapt some Chinese stuff to camp. Cooking the meat & veggies is easy, but the sauces can be-hell, usually are-complex. Kikkoman has introduced sauce packets to which you just add water! So far, their Mongolian Beef packet was great! Also, since we don't eat a lot of rice or noodles with these foods, I up the amount of veggies so we're eating "paleo" pretty much all the time. It's sort of a takeoff from the Atkins diet, leaving the wheat products behind.

So here's what went into the Mongolian Beef mix: about a pound of fajita strip steak, a head of broccoli, a bunch of asparagus, a red bell pepper, some green onions, and half a white onion. I cut up the asparagus and blanched it and the broccoli together while the steak was searing in one of my woks, then tossed the whole lot into the wok with the sauce, cooked it up, and it was really good! I think we got the seasoning packet at Uwajimaya in Bellevue. There's other sauce packets out there; none of which require refrigeration, so they may work out really well for elk and deer camp this fall! I'll let you guys know how this works out.

If you're looking for tools, try the Wok Shop in San Francisco, too; great people, great service, inexpensive tools which work superbly, and for God's sake, get their cleavers!

Oh, and a note to Trapper! I'm switching from cast iron to the de Buyer pans-lighter, less finicky, cook as well as cast, and the handle doesn't heat up anywhere near as quickly as cast. Give `em a try! I season mine like a wok, with high temp and peanut oil.

Jim Ficklin likes this.
  2. Sounds good, Alex & The Wok Shop is hard to beat!

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  3. It would take a big bore wheel gun muzzle to my temple to get me to give up my Griswald, Wagner, and Lodge iron . . . ;)

I do like Asian cuisine though.

Trapper

bennysbuddy likes this.
  4. Alex, I think cast iron is LEGALLY REQUIRED for back-country cooking in Montana. You do know that expresso is a "controlled substance" there!!

Cooking in camp!! Thaw and heat!! Except for pheasants. Last year we invited up a guy to cook elk burgers for us. That was the best of both worlds. We drank....he cooked.

After two bottles of wine and then wine with dinner you guys can still cook??

5. I like a wok with karma so I'm using a hubcap I got of a vw van,parked at haight & ashbury in san fransico in the 70's, or at least I think thats where it came from!

Ron McNeal likes this.
  6. I don't typically cook in a climate controlled environment. While extreme cold is rare inside the camp/mess tent, I remember a few years ago when two wood stoves blazing only got the inside temp up to 62. It was minus 20 F outside the tent (which has an R Value of 0).

One of the things I like about cast iron Dutch ovens is I take it off the coals and put it on a trivet on the table. I pull the lid off and start serving 12-20 people. When people are ready for 2nds, the food is still really hot.

Trapper

7. I'm with ya on this, except when you drop your Lodge, and it cracks:eek: These things will bounce. But, I really like my Lodge stuff, too!

8. Vladimir, Jason turned me onto that Aero Press thing at Kelly Creek, but the coffee tastes even better with a little Bushmills Honey in it:D Tandy and I were up at Mazama store the other day, and I found a little jar of Medaglia d`Oro freeze-dried expresso! I could sneak it into the back country in a baggie!

9. Agreed. I love the Aero Press. A friend of mine introduced me to it and I now bring one everywhere with me. I've even used on an airplane before.