Cooking Question

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by David Prutsman, Jul 12, 2007.

1. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Just wondering if there are any useful techniques for removing the small bones from a trout once it's cooked, so you don't have to pick'em out of your teeth.

David

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    somebody posted a pick of a fish boner recently....

Personally, I cook the fish, then when it is laying on it's side, I cut along the back bone and remove the top 'fillet'. Then I remove the entire bone and ribs from head to tail and end up with 2 'fillets'. Now I carefully cut each fillet down the center and carefully collect the remaining bones as I go. not many bones left after that.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I decided a long time ago that I don't like to mess with the bones in trout, so I stopped keeping any smaller than about 14". When I cook a fish, there are bones, but they're large enough that I can see and remove them without much hassle while eating them.

4. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Cook the fish head on. Before cooking make a cut starting at the top of one gill cover down to the spine all the way around the fish, the only thing holding the head on should be the spine. Do the same for the tail. after you cook it, lay the fish on its side, grab the fish by the head, pick the head up an inch or so and GENTLY! shake it up and down. Flip the fish over and repeat. Throw away the skeleton with head and tail still attached. This doesnt work well for deep fried trout, but will work on pan fried if you do not coat the inside of the fish. :beer2:

I think I'll have trout for dinner tonight. If I get around to it, I'll take some pics and post them. It's a lot eaiser than it sounds.

5. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    8 iches and smaller... and 16 inches and bigger. That's what I prefer to keep.

8 inchers are like smelt or other small fish that people often eat whole - bones and all. For the tiny trout (think alpine lakes and streams), just cook, strip the backbone out, and you are good to go. No tiny pin bones to worry about (if they are there, they are so small soft you don't notice them). I like to cook them over an open fire like a roast pig - stick down the throat and out the tail. Just get ready with a plate or pan. Once the meat is cooked, it will want to just fall off the stick...

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I have found that over cooked or under cooked trout are harder to bone than done just right.
    Lay the pan fried trout on it's back and pry open with a fork, be gentle and most of those little shoulder bones will stick to the back bone.
    Steamed or BBQ is a little different, again don't over cook.

7. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    I have found that Rocky Ford trout, pictured above, have more tender bones so that you really don't have to de-bone them. Very pink meat though!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8. kameharem

kameharem New Member

I release my trout so someone else has a chance to experience catching it as well.;)

9. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

That's nice, but sounds like Crew's hungry and already made up his mind!:rofl:

I dont' keep many fish (especially trout), but I do make sure I could feed myself in case I ever spend an 'accidental overnighter.' I guess my post is equally useless in that I don't have any tricks for de-boning trout - I just pretty much put up with them.

10. Be Jofus G

Media:
    Then why are you replying to a thread about deboning a fish. :confused:

Gary, It's deboning a trout. If you keep telling everyone "over cooked or under cooked trout are harder to bone " I'm going to start worrying about you.:beer2: :rofl:

11. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Hmm, I'll have to give that one a try.

How big, generally, must a fish be to fillet it. Don't really get bones in a fillet, right?

12. DeanHosh

DeanHosh New Member

You can use a bone tweezers. One of the few specialty tools for the kitchen I own. Works great.

Dean

13. OhioOutdoorsman

OhioOutdoorsman New Member

Over 12", I fillet. Under 12" just cut out the spine and butterfly, loose too much meat otherwise. But I don't keep many under 12" these days, cause thats when its worth it to occasionally eat one for me. Now you can cook them with the spine in and if you overcook them, you can usually just lift the spine out and the ribs will seperate off the meat, but I hate dry, overcooked fish, so I son't do this anymore either.

14. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

Someone called for a Chef?
    I worked as a prep cook in a restaurant that would serve trout and they had a good technique for deboning trout that was very similar to working with sardines and herring.
    Its easier seen than explained but here it goes.
    Gut fish and remove the dorsal fin. Turn trout on its back and using kitchen shears snip the spine behind the head of the fish without cutting through enough that it would remove the head.
    Hold the head firm with one hand, take your other hand and work your thumb and index finger under the bones on each side of the spine. I personally use my index and middle fingers instead of the thumb and index but hey its a preference thing.BTW I was faster than everyone else.
    Work your way towards the tail separating the bones from the flesh about as far as an inch or two
    or enough until you can get a good grip on the spine.
    Grab spine and tear/ pull out spine towards tail and cut the spine out when it reaches rectal incision.
    This seems to remove most of the pin bones but it also only seems to work on really fresh fish that have never been frozen and are over 14" in length.

Cheers,

-Lex

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Yuk, you guys eat those fish you catch. Those fish if they are in a lake are swimming around in all of that duck crap. It gives me shivers to think about that.

Jim

16. OhioOutdoorsman

OhioOutdoorsman New Member

No wonder everyone says I'm full of crap.

Thanks for sharing, Lex, that sounds like a winner.

17. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Cows and pigs live in their own shit. Fish are a step up!

18. Be Jofus G

Media:
    you can fillet a 4 inch fish if you want to. A razor sharp fillet knife with a flexable blade is key. Try practicing on a few dozen 4'' - 6'' perch, you'll be a filleting machine once you get through them.

19. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

Filleting a fish still leaves pin bones.
    You can remove the pin bones with tweezers as stated earlier in this thread but its a pain in the ass.
    Another way to remove the bones safely is to hot smoke the fish or steam it in a Chinese preparation. After you smoke or steam a trout you can avoid the pin bones by easily peeling away the skin and flaking the flesh away from the lateral line (which demarcates the pin bones) with a fork.
    I catered an event where I served smoked trout canapes for 200 guests and never ran into a pin bone after preparing it this way, lucky? no, just skill and attention to detail.

Cheers,

-Lex

20. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Maybe I was thinking of something else entirely.
    DeBone or not DeBone that is a ?
    Didn't yo moma teach ya to chew ya food? Then wash it down with some cold swil (Animal beer)
    TGIF. I'm going fishing come hell or high water.
    OH I buy my fish per boned.

The thread says Cook ?