Cool Campsite Ideas

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Dubblegee, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Dubblegee

Dubblegee New Member

I thought sharing personal ideas and tips about how to make their camp a little more comfortable would be interesting. On my overnight floats, to accomadate my two dogs that join us, I removed the back seat on my drift boat and replaced it with a trapezoid shaped table with folding legs. It makes for a stable out of the way spot for the hounds, and still allows space for camping gear. Another idea is that I use my 2 1/2 gallon bailing bucket as a shower too. I fitted it on the bottom with a inexpensive removable PVC valve and shower head. We just fill it with river water and a coffe pot full of heated water off the stove ,and hang it from a tree.

2. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    I've found that parachute cord and a handful of those really big nails (the thick, 6-7" jobbies) make car camping more enjoyable.

dfl and Jerry Daschofsky like this.
  3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Save 1 gallon water jugs (you can use milk but rinse then VERY well before reusing) and refill with water and freeze. Use these in place of block ice. Then use defrosted water for extra water in camp.

God, I have a ton more, just not sure where to start.

4. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    I'll add another one, but again it's for car camping when there's no long haul to the camp site.

I saw a picture that Paul Dieter had posted and it showed he and, I think it was his son, camping and in the picture you could see there was an oriental rug in his tent. I thought that was a brilliant idea and one I'd have never thought of. Anyway, I bought a couple of cheap "oriental-like" rugs at Ross and TJ Maxx and they do really enhance the tent/camp. I bring 'em on every trip now.

Ed Call, Porter and Alex MacDonald like this.
  5. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Dang, I bet the atmosphere would make my Top Ramen or leftover Panda Express taste better too! ;)

Ed Call likes this.
  6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

.....maybe some harem music and a couple of concubines would add some ambiance as well. I think you have something here Ron!

Ive

oldgoat03, Ed Call, Porter and 4 others like this.
  7. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Don't forget the hookah pipe!

8. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:

They do that, and more....

Old406Kid likes this.
  9. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I do cold weather camping if the rivers are in good shape and the catching is good.
    I sleep in my car on an air matress. I use a power converter to run an electric blanket if the weather is below freezing. I use a deep cycle battery running the converter outside the car, no noise and no issues.

I car camp Crystal Mnt during multiple days of fresh snow. I use the RV sites in Lot B for $20. They have power and water. I use the power for the electric blanket, radio, lights etc. I spend most of the time in the lodge drinking and dining, then its off to sleep 5 minutes away in a preheated bed.

I dont use a tent anymore, i dont need 1mm of nylon to keep me safe from whatever in my mind is out to get me. :D

Like Jerry stated above, i use gallon jugs of block ice, i fill 85% due to expansion, and i also drink the ice water from the jugs as needed.

I have many more ideas that i will add as they come to mind.

Ed Call and rustybee like this.
  10. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Damned, thought I had put that. Good call. Forgot to add that I don't fill mine full either.

11. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    Not necessarily a good idea if you're sharing a tent, but a great idea if you're soloing: an empty wide-mouth plastic bottle with a nice, tight screw-on cap for, well, you know........

I'm almost 71: I never leave home without one.

Salmo_g and rustybee like this.
  12. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Ron, that device is widely know as a Pisaroonie. I have used one since my winter mountaineering days back in the '60's. These days there is always one in the van in case of a traffic fiasco. Like you say--never leave home without it!

Ive

Ron McNeal likes this.
  13. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

I'll second the rug idea, only I put it outside the entrance to my tent. Gives me a place to kneel and remove my shoes. That much less dirt coming inside.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

14. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    My girls always brings a small rug for the tent entrance. I laugh at how uncamping it feels until I see all of the mud caked on it. It is a good idea that I will never remember.

15. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    Most of the camps I'm in are in the back country, and everything is transported on the backs of mules so my campsite ideas are likely a bit different than car campers.

I don't use ice because it's heavy and takes up valuable cooler space. What I do now with the highly insulated Yeti coolers is fill the cooler the night before it's packed with blocks of ice. I freeze everything I possibly can - meat especially. I then pack the frozen meats into the pre-cooled Yetis and veggies, cheese, etc in other coolers.

In camp I look at the menu for the next day, take the frozen meats I'll be using the next day, and put them in the veggie, cheese, etc cooler using it as ice. By the time I need the meat thawed, it's time to put the next days meat in. I only open the meat Yeti once each day and it's in the cool morning time right after breakfast.

If the trip is long and the temperatures are really warm I'll put the coolers in the creek, in the shade, and cover them with a manty (large canvas tarp used for packing). I'll dump a bucket of water on the canvas a few times each day for evaporation. I've also dug a hole in the ground and put the coolers in it leaving only the lid exposed and covering them with wet manties. But since we started using the Yetis I haven't had to go to drastic measures to keep food from spoiling.

Trapper

16. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    We used a similar system way back in the 1970's for 10 day work shift in the back country of Sequoia National Park.

Our cook was also a butcher so we froze all the meat prior to cutting. We also had a schedule going from fish, chicken, to beef and finishing with canned hams.

It all worked and nobody ever got sick. The key was the stuff that could spoil early was eaten early in the work shift. The southern Sierra's are pretty warm in summer. I was impressed with how well the system worked.

The only issue I had was that the cook was an alcoholic and he was great until his friends rode horses for 10 miles to visit him in camp. I cooked breakfast for the crew the following morning. Fortunately, that only happened once.

Ed Call likes this.
  17. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    With both the pop-up A-frame trailer with a heated mattress, among other amenities, we still use the tents we have, including a Hilleberg Nammatj-3 for backpacking, BUT... Along with all that stuff, I'm seriously pondering a Baker tent for elk camp this year, a 10X10. We seem to be drifting away from sleeping on the ground, even with NeoAir mattresses. There's a guy who makes no-screw, take apart wooden beds (as opposed to cots). Add a double bed, some candlelight from the lanterns, a few cheap Oriental-style rugs, and a decent chair, and you got a really nice camp. Oh, did I mention this season I'll haul a Hawken .50 long range flint rifle for elk? Really goes with the camp setup:cool:

18. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Vladimir, you post on the Sierra reminded me of the difference between the northern Cascades and the Sierra. I've put many, many miles under my boots in the Sierra, hunting, backpacking, and fishing, but only encountered bad weather occasionally there. Maybe I was lucky, but I don't feel the weather in the high Sierra is anywhere near as potentially bad as here. It's different, don't you think? Here, you can easily die if you don't know what you're doing.

19. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Tell that to the Donner Party. :D

Porter likes this.
  20. 2506

2506 Active Member

If you buy a cheap brand of canned American-made beer owned by a multi-national conglomerate you can freeze them. They are colder than ice and pack into a cooler much easier than a frozen gallon jug.

Porter likes this.