Cool Campsite Ideas

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Dubblegee, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

String the can beer and place in the river....natures fridge. Can over glass too. In earlier days we use to make lures (spinning) from the pull tab of the can....and damn they worked....or maybe thats what I want to remember :confused: (no they really did :) )

The number one trick....always bring a good knife!;)

Thanks for sharing above....good thoughts.

flybill and Ed Call like this.
  2. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Alex, this reminds me of a number of decades back (quite a number, actually) we used to use a canvas Baker tent in the warmer months, but switch to a wall tent in the fall (heavy suckers, they were). We'd deck it out with everything including a wood stove, table and chairs, the whole bit. Made it real comfy. So much so that it took a real serious effort to work up the resolve to leave the thing before daybreak into the snow to go out and find "the big one".
    A "Baby Ben" alarm clock helped get us up and going. That's my contribution...
    Oh, and take a shovel too. Lots of potential uses for that especially if you get your invincible 4x4 rig stuck in the snow far from civilization.
    "T.P" too - can be a real drag if forgotten.

Ed Call and Alex MacDonald like this.
  3. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Yeah, but that was in the northern Sierras.
    If it happens to any of you there these days, just walk up the ridge to the north 'til you hit I-80 and stick your thumb out.
    And do it before anyone in your party gets too hungry...

Ed Call likes this.
  4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Always bring a harmonica even if you can't play one, after you stop playing the thing everybody will be happy, at least thats how it works out when i play at camp!!!!

flybill, Ed Call and Ron McNeal like this.
  5. dfl

dfl Active Member

I learned this one from my ole buddy Skip Wheeler, who now resides in OR. The biggest cheapest framing hammer you can find. Makes things go where they don't want to then brings them back. Changes the shape of things. Relocates inconveniently located things. Makes small things out of big things-seldom works in reverse. Creates irrigation channels. Holds things in place. Its the handiest single tool I take camping. Try it and I'll bet you agree.

Ed Call likes this.
  6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I've never gone tent camping without a Pulaski, shovel, collapsible bucket, space blanket, & fire grate of some sort. Stoves fail; fire is pretty reliable . . .

Ed Call and Ron McNeal like this.
  7. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Here's a few more things to think about:

[​IMG]

-- A chair with a back on it. You may be amazed how much better your back will feel.
    -- Big metal dish pans with handles. You can put them on the woodstove to heat the water, thus saving fuel. Plastic dish pans are cheap and light but somehow they always end up splitting down the side in cold weather or getting a hole melted into them. If you get halfway through dishes and the water goes cold you can just put the metal pans on a stove to warm up the water.
    -- Buckets. I like metal buckets because again, I'll use the heat from the woodstove to warm the water instead of using propane. Hot water for showers or dishes is in constant demand in my camps.

I'm using this setup to wash my clothes. The big trash can is my secondary and final rinse. We use that big can to hang all our smelly camp stuff that attracts bears. We hang it 20 feet off the ground on a pole suspended between two trees and a pulley.

The scotch is for off days doing laundry. One of the perks of being a cook is clients leave brown liquor like this Blue Label Johnny Walker. It's not something I would buy, but damn it was good sipping it sitting in the sun reading a book with no one for miles around me.

Jim's idea of having a low-tech backup is a very, very, good one. Stuff will break when you're using it hard. This is my low-tech answer:

[​IMG]

It's called a Fire pan. Often, if there's fire restrictions, you can't legally have a camp fire, but you can use these. They're very portable. You can use them for grilling like shown in the above photo. Or you can use it for Dutch Oven cooking like this:

[​IMG]

Trapper

Ed Call likes this.
  8. Jim Ficklin

A suitable tarp is also a must. Good catch, Trapper.

Ed Call likes this.
  9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Always take a deck of cards. If you ever get lost just stop and start playing solitaire. It won't be long before some smart ass appears over your shoulder and tells you to play the black ten on the red jack....

Ive

underachiever, dfl, joellirot and 4 others like this.
  10. Trapper Badovinac

I like to cool beer and pop in the creek like this:

[​IMG]

It's in the shade and I bury the plastic milk crate so the cans float. I put the cans in upside down but my camp guests always want to put them in tab up. That collects silt that you have to rinse off before opening. Upside down = no silt. I also do it this way because USFS regs dictate you must not leave pop and beer in the creek overnight, so the crate makes it handy to move.

Trapper

11. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

I do the same winter camping for fresh snow in the back of my pickup (canopy), mostly Stevens Pass. You can do a lot with a 20amp service :)

Ed Call likes this.
  12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

This thread reinforces my appreciation of our diverse experiences and sense of community. Thank you all. I needed a good read.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, every time I try to cool my beer in the creek, some asshole fisherman drinks it (and it ain't me). ;) LOL

14. Jim Ficklin

And a some bungie cord. . . sort of like elastic duct tape, lol.

15. Trapper Badovinac

In the Montana back country, stealing some guy's beer or liquor is liable to get you aired out and buried in a shallow grave. It's right up there with kicking his dog or punching his horse. :D

Trapper

Ed Call, Jerry Daschofsky and flybill like this.
  16. Ed Call

Sacrilege, no such crime should ever be committed. Most anglers are willing to share, but just grabbing and helping yourself? Horrible form.

17. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Actually, this is a true story. Had tossed a six pack in the river to cool. Ran back up to camp to fix dinner (was on the Hoh at the Oxbow). The sixpack was actually tethered to a line so I could just pull it up when I needed it. Ran to grab line and it was limp. Ran down, and all the beer had been taken. This was well below the launch, and one of my favorite spots there at Oxbow (think first time I met you Ed was the Hoh Down at that exact spot). Should attach a bell and carry a sniper rifle. That'll fix em'. :)

Ed Call likes this.
  18. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

pull tabs my god thats ancient history, what type of critter pulled the covered wagon?

19. Ed Call

Know the spot well. Thanks for the sixer! Guess I will have to make good on that little indescretion.

Kidding.

That swirling vortex of food funneling is the first steelhead hookup spot for Matt Smith. I was rowing him and Rob Ast in my new cataraft. Awesome trip, huge fish...saw it all side the boat right before he broke it off.

dfl likes this.
  20. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

You guys ought to check out the "campaigning" that some of the British generals did during the revolutionary war here. Crystal, china, candelabra, good wine, and the requisite mistress. Gen. Burgoyne's mistress was known as "Mrs. Commisary", a step up form the usual camp whores, but not much!