Cork Grip Inletting

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by freestoneangler, Feb 1, 2006.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I have always purchased my cork grips finished from various suppilers and had them inlet the cork to match the reel seat (if it has a hidden hood). I have made a few handles from cork rings, but it's messy and dosen't seem to offer much of a cost advantage. I came across a dozen or so nice Flor-Grade cigar and reverse wells grips for a good price:thumb: but none have inletting.

Does any have a good source for buying a tool(s) to perform the inletting and what kind of results have you had?:confused:

Thanks

2. SSPey

SSPey Member

dremel tool. First outline the area with a pen, then lay off the coffee and have a drink (or 2, not 3 !) to relax. Go to it. Works like a charm.

3. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    dudes got it dialed in! the dremel is the way to go.... as a bit of advice, it's usually easier to do with the dremel stationary and moving the cork than it is the other way around :)

4. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

I agree with the above. Biggest recommendation is PATIENCE. I ruined a few before I learned this. That led to my learning to repair them. :)

5. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Just to add a few...do the above procedures after you have reamed your cork to fit in it's final spot.

What I do is bush up the blank for the reelseat either with graphite arbors or tape. Place the reelseat on the blank in it's final spot, but don't glue it. After you have reamed out your cork slide it down to the reelseat and trace around the edge of the recessed hood as stated above.

I found this method to work better for me then to make your recessed hood in the cork and then to ream it for blank fitting. Sometimes when your done reaming you'll have moved the hole a little and now your hood will also be off a little.

:cool:

6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Doesn't it seem that a small cork-removal job like that could be done without power tools? In fact, I've done it several times. Placing the ring against the end of the grip, I traced around it with a fine-point pen or pencil, then filed out the cork with the end of a rattail file. Just keep making circumferential strokesas you rotate the grip.

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    OK, the Dremel wins the popular vote. I have a Dremel that I use to dress off guides. Do you recommend any particular end tool; small barrel sander, cone sander, etc.??:confused:

Thanks

8. wet line

wet line New Member

I have to agree with Nooksac Mac on this one. A dremel can take a lot away in a big hurry. Whereas rat tail files can be found with different tapers and coarseness. If a person looks long enough some very nice finish grade files can be found.

Another option is to glue a piece of sand paper on a piece of old blank material that closely matches the taper of the rod you are going to seat the new cork on. By rotating the cork on the "sander" you will achieve a taper that is very hard to do with a dremel.

Dave

9. In_too_deep

In_too_deep Member

Media:
    If you are worried about ruining the preformed grip, carve out a single cork ring to fit the reel seat hood and glue to the hood separately. Finish to size after the handle is assembled.

10. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

I'm with In To Deep. That's what I've always done and I've been happy with the results.

gbeeman

11. SSPey

SSPey Member

I used to do it manually until I started with the Dremel, no looking back now. Barrel sander.

12. sav4pav

sav4pav New Member

Hi guys.

I am new to this forum and rodbuilding. But I have some nice gear from Dan Craft for cork inletting.

I have made video of this tool so here it is:

I hope this helps. It certainly helped me a lot!!

Pavel

13. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Hey Pavel...aren't you the one making these??? They are GREAT, it is the only tool I now use for this. Have gone from time and frustration with a dremel to under one minute to finished product with this. Some further advice in using this tool: Be sure NOT to ream out the handle before you inlet the space for the reel seat...the reamer's guide rod is for a 1/4 in hole and works much better if the center hole is not reamed out (chattering).

14. sav4pav

sav4pav New Member

Hi CharlieS

I would put it this way, me and Dan are the authors of this tool. A couple of years ago, Dan was the ONLY guy answering my (probably silly) questions about renewal my old fly rod. And when I came to difficulty, I talk to him. Since there are no rodbuilding tools here, Dremel-ing was not as I expected, I made two inletting prototyps, send one to DAN for testing, we talked improvements, materials, sizes..., made 3D modelling, second prototype, evaluation testing again, and here it is. I think me and Dan have made a good yob Now, the Crafty's has an aluminum guide shaft.

Optimal performance is with high speed drill/lathe 1500-3000RPM, therefore batery drill under 1000 RPM isn't the best way to go. And you are right about reaming the hole AFTER inletting.

Thank you for your post. It makes me feel good.
    Pavel