cork grip question

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by mike doughty, Jun 10, 2004.

1. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    i am going to be building a #10 for a friend and he likes the cigar type grips. i have only seen the cigar grips on #6 and smaller. does anybody know if there would be a problem putting a cigar grip on a #10. thanks

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    If that's what he wants...give it to him. Has he fished a 10 weight before? What grips did it have (chances are a full wells)? Find out what drives his request and honor it if it makes sense. I put one on a 4 weight just recently and like it a lot. I may place them on 5 and 6 weights too...but a 10? Not too sure...

Roper,

Life goes on, enjoy it...

3. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    thanks roper, he has several heavier rods with smaller grips, but am not sure if they are actually cigar grips. he said if i couldn't do it then he could just sand it down to where he likes. if a cigar works then at least i know it is in the vicinity of what he likes.

4. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I had a Sage GPL 9' 10 weight with a cigar grip, and it was too small for me. Anything over 5 wt gets a Full Wells grip (not to mention that my 9' 4wt has one, too).

I would suggest that you discuss this with your buddy and see if he is sure that he wants a cigar. If not, suggest that he tries a Full Wells. They are a bigger grip that I think helps one hold the rod more firmly.

Rob