Cork rings

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Matthew LeBret, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    I am 28 years old and living in Clarkston WA. This last summer my little girl who is 5 went fishing with me up the north fork Clearwater and a hour into the day I handed her my 7 1/2 4wt. Her 4th cast went right were I was hopping she was going to put it and a 15inch cutty was in her hand soon enough needless to say she is now hooked and asked me if she could fly fish now and give her Barbie pole to her little brother. So I am looking into building rods for my family but I am going to play around with cork first and try a few different things before I try to get serious with the building. I have found site after site with all with great cork on Google. I have also dug into this forum and found some great sites/people on were to get good quality cork. I guess my question would be is there a site I could order from and get cheap cork that I would be able to play with and not feel bad if I mess it up? Thank you all for your help, and I’m sure that this won’t be the last question I have.

2. Builder

Builder Member

Check out the post below, (6 spots down) by Tyler where he had some free cork.

3. Matthew LeBret

Media:
    I looked at his post but also seen the local pick up and it also looks like he got rid of them. If anyone has any I wouldnt mind paying shipping and also givin you some money.

4. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just order from any rod building site. None of the cork is going o be good quality at all. If your just looking to mess around, get the cheap rings. If I had and left over I would send it to you.

5. Matthew LeBret

Media:
    I just placed an order for some discount cork and also got a set of good rings for when Im ready to build the rod. Digging in some of the older posts I came across some of your work that was posted Tyler and I must say you make one hell of a rod. How long have you been building for?

6. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks kdmmil,
    I have been building for 10 years now. The last 6 years as a professional. I built the custom rods for Fetha Styx back in the day and now I do my own thing.

7. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

first off i wouldn't be to worried about messing up the cork job on a rod because it's easy to grind it all off and try again.. just order double the cork you need to make the handle.. besides that way if you don't mess it up you'll have this left over cork that you'd have to do something with like say ohh i dunno another rod?