Correcting Mistakes

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Tom Martin, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Member

On my first rod the epoxy did not turn out as I wished. Its OK, but not as smooth nor as thick as I wanted. I read you can use fine grit sandpaper (400 grit) and rough it up then put on a second coat of epoxy.

So the question is, can I do that? Any pros/cons or recommendations. Not sure if I am going to give it a go or not. Rod functions great, just the cosmetics...

2. RRivera

RRivera Member

Depending on how thin the layer is, careful not to accidentally sandpaper the thread wraps or you could be dealing with fuzz. You can build it up with a layer or two of epoxy then then let it cure for a few days and fine sand it and re-apply to smoth finish it.....or you could just strip it and re-wrap again.

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=26143

helpful tip

3. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

I have been in the same boat as you after using Madeira without CP... Nightmare to say the least. I ended up building up the epoxy and using a 1/4 inch file to shave down the hight spots between each coat... and if you only sand the high side and stay away from the threads as RRivera said you should be good to go. I ended up dealing with a bit of unevenness on my epoxy and didn't cut the guides off and re-wrap.

Learned from that nightmare and the next rod came out beautiful.

Cheers,
    Steve

4. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

I'm newer to the rod building with only 7 rods under my belt. I was just starting to turn my 3 rod with the belt on my turner broke and caused the finish to sag. I waited 2 days to let the finish harden and then I sanded it 360 grit to get the lumps out and then cleaned it a few times with Rubbing Alcohol to get all the dust off. Like Rivera said "careful not to accidentally sandpaper the thread wraps or you could be dealing with fuzz" then you have a whole new problem. If your going to keep building rods I would fix it for the learning experience if nothing else. Don't settle for anything if its something your building make it perfect you will be a lot more happy in the long run.

5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Is it that it's lumpy so that's why it's not smooth, or is the entire surface just "rough". If it's "rough" you can just gently sand/fine mesh it a touch and just re-epoxy. As for the "lumpy" that's a whole nother ball of wax. I often apply a coat on the rod, then a second, sand smooth with 600 grit, the apply again. But that's only on *long* continuous sections without things like guides getting in the way. Ferrule ends work well this way too. But if you try it on guides, you'll more than likely be disappointed in the results. In those cases, I often just cut 'em off and start over again, as the "recovery" way of doing this is much slower than just redoing it properly.