Cortland 444 sl Change a tip question.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Big Ben, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Big Ben Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I just got a St. Croix Legend Ultra 7wt and I would like to just buy a multi-tip system. Any feedback on the Cortland would be great. Clear, Floating, type III, and type IV is what I'm interested in. The rod is a 7wt and I like to upline usually, ever cast a GL3 5wt with 6wt
    line? Should I just stick with 7wt line?:dunno
  2. PETI Member

Battle Ground, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I have the 8wt version on my GLX and find it to be heavy or heavy enough to load, somewhat too easily.
    For my tastes I would not overline with this setup, but always best to test first.
    I've also heard nothing but good said about the Rio multi, so you may want to check it out first.

HTH
    Peter
  3. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    I made my own multi tip using the Cortland 444sl rocket taper floating line. Actually, Dennis Worley and Kmanns made it for me, It works great. He cut the front head off, made loops and I got the Rio heads that you can buy seperately. The 444sl Rocket taper casts better then the stuff you get with the multi-tip package setup and it's cheaper. Double Bonus! I used the type 3 and type 6 heads all winter long on my 8 weight. YT:thumb
  4. Big Ben Guest

Thanks guys!

YT you're the man! So I just go get the floating rocket taper 444SL and buy the Rio heads. I just scalped my Blazer tickets for money to get the fly line. Now I'll have enough left over for leaders and some flies. }(
  5. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Thanks guys!

thanks, just trying to help. I think Rio is coming out with new heads this year that have welded loops. The welded loop is a better way to go, I'm waiting to see them on the flyshop shelf so I can buy some more heads. Good luck! YT:smokin
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

What is the difference in price by buying another line and cutting it down and then buying the heads separtly. When you can just buy the Multitip lines that are out there.I think that Rio is a good one but a bit high priced. Airflo I think is under $100.00 and so is Cortland's 444. On another note it seems like they are just getting shooting heads and attaching them to running line.

Jim
  7. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    Spend a couple extra bucks and get the Yancey set-up from Dennis Dickson - OH YEAH!! That is the TICKET!!