Cortland GRF 1000 5/6 fly rod opinions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Zarich, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Zarich New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    So my local hawk has this rod used with a cortland crown II fly reel for $50. It seems to be in good repair (some scratches, nothing fatal). I currently have a echo solo 6wt and was looking for a second rod of a different action (mine is fast) for a back up and to try something a bit new. Does anyone know much about these and whether they are decent enough to be worth the $50?
  2. Roger Nott Member

Ratings: +18 / 0
    A 9’ 6/7 GRF 1000 was my first graphite fly rod purchased in the early 80s as a poor college student. An improvement on what I had been fishing with for sure. I still have it, still fish it on occasion. I know they upgraded it and still sold for a quite few years so it is hard to say what you are looking at. Mine is first gen graphite, no sanding on the cellophane removal (ridged), natural graphite color. By today’s standards it’s a bit of a turd but mine has some serious mojo. It probably has more 20+ inch trout on it than any other rod I own. Three in one day as I recall. I’m emotionally attached to mine, but seriously unless you are looking for old school or slow, but faster than glass, look at the Redington and TFO sales at Cabela’s for a rod that performs quite a bit better. The GRF 1000 is a fish slaying machine for sure and will not break if you look at it wrong or tap it with a bead head. But heavy and slow by todays standards. My 9’ is 3.75 oz. Lighter than a Fenwick Feralite but still heavy. If you like balance the Crown reel might be a bit light in my opinion unless it is a large. A medium Crown will be about 4.5 oz naked so you will be tip heavy on a GRF1000 at 8.5 ot 9’. You didn’t say what length this rod is or why you might want it (other than slower than what you have which it will be for sure). Bottom line, if you want old school graphite go for it. It will also be a good second rod that will get the job done. I like the reel too. If you want bang for the buck look at some of the contemporary med-fast sale offerings for a few dollars more.
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    I also had one of those but mine was a 5/6. I fell with it one time and banged the butt on the ground. The top two inches shattered. After that is was a 8' 10" rod. I also had the Crown reel. It wasn't my first set up. I had upgraded from a fiberglas rod, Maker unknown.
  4. Zarich New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Its 8.5' 5/6wt. I was just looking for a cheap back up to my echo solo. I read a lot of people seem to have a great memories of this rod. This one is closer to 2002 in build.
  5. Roger Nott Member

Ratings: +18 / 0