Cortland GRF-1000

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Zarich, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Zarich

Zarich New Member

So I picked this rod up with a cortland crown 2 reel from my local hawk for $50. It was in really good condition with a few scratches to the finish, but nothing major and no damage. If it weren't for the finish scratches it would look new.
    Not sure how I feel about this rod at this point. I have an echo solo and that is the most experience I have with Rods. The Echo solo I have is a 6wt fast action. There is a HUGE difference in the action of these two rods. I believe the cortland is a medium to slow action. It is amazing how that feels. The echo is the easier cast, the cortland is a smoother cast. using the same lines I can get almost the same distance with the solo going just a bit further and the corltand requiring more effort. The echo picks up the line with little effort the cortland is a little more sluggish.
    At this point I am tempted to Craigs this rod because I am pretty sure I can recoup or gain on this rod. I am thinking I prefer a medium to fast action rod overall.

Any thoughts on slower action rods? Any benefits to using one?

2. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Don't be so quick to condemn a slow action rod. We have all been sucked into this fast, faster, ultra fast, marketing hype. It's been going on for so long that hardly anyone will label a rod's action as moderate, let alone slow, or relaxed. Just play with it, find the rod's tempo, shorten up the stroke. Contrary to popular belief, a slow action rod is capable of throwing tight loops as well as developing high line speed.

generic likes this.
  3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

sound advice

4. generic

generic Active Member

Outside of fishing for steelies, I don't have a need for a fast rod. Rarely am I making a cast longer than 40 to 50 ft, which usually comes at the end of the day when I'm too lazy to sneak up and make a shorter cast.