Cortland

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GAT, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I still think the old , blue Cortland intermediate was the very best intermediate line ever made .

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I for one am glad companies are producing specialy lines. Cortland had a great share of the market when I first started flyfishing, but didn't do much to expand their product line-up or meet customer demand for new products. I used a lot of their lines back in the day.
    They rested on their laurels and have paid for it. New players showed up in the market with better products to meet specific angling situations. It's called innovation.
    I'm also not sure that having various companies under one holding company is always a bad thing. Have Sage, Redington or Rio's product offerings or customer service suffered under Far Bank's ownership? Have they moved all their product offshore? Redington was already having products produced offshore, but the Far Bank ownship provided the financial muscle for them to offer us even more and better products to choose from.
    With the choices in gear available today, I don't think we've ever had it so good. There are good products to fit everyones flyfishing budget.
    That being said, I hope Cortland's makeover is a big success.
    SF

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Cortland used to make a 15 foot clear intermidiate sink tip line that I loved for cutthroat fishing. They quit making it. I tried a few other lines made by Rio, SA, etc. but none fit so I went back to what I had been doing for most of my lines; I made my own. Nobody can make a line that fits me like I can.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I have one of those clear sink tips... guess I best not break it. I didn't know they stopped making them . Figures.

5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

YOU GUYS ARE SCARING ME.

I have an older (all of my haves are older) fly line that I was thinking of replacing. It is a marginal line. Maybe get some more cast out of it.
    When I look at the $15.00 line I started with and the $75.00 line I last bought, I really have to ask myself if all that hype and development really made all that much difference.

I donno. I guess it is what you want and what you are willing to pay for it. I found out a long time ago, that I am never going to reach the other side where all the fish are supposed to be, and my cast is what it is. Water conditions albeit subject to change are pretty much within a
    given parameter and have been for a looooong time.

Regrettably, marketing strategies change and products get dropped from the inventory. Not sure that we need all those speciality lines, but as long as the market is there, the lines will be there.

So, I guess, for now, I will just continue to shop the market place to see what I really need and what I can live without.

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I agree. When I first got it I thought it was labeled wrong and it was a floater. It took awhile for mine to start sinking.
    I ended up dying mine green as I wasn't fond of the blue color.

7. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    I'd agree with above statement. Everything is about 'NEW' in our modernised era. Funny thing about many of the new specialty tapers.. checking specifications often matches them to another 'specialty' taper.. maybe only a simple colour change.. but the box and nonclamature sure looks different :) Look at how often they change up box graphics on an existing successful popular line. It's a lot more marketing influenced than in the past.

Scientific Anglers did market some of the JW Outfitters chest / fanny packs, etc, for a brief time before dropping them entirely. I was a little sore when they bought out Craig Harris, originator of Harris reels [built right on the banks of the Pere Marquette in Baldwin MI] I never saw such a sorry attempt at marketing.. likely only enough effort to satisy contract terms. One less option for the consumer.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    I just got mine of of storage, didn't know I still had it. The line is bomb proof! That clear outer coating (what ever it is) is amazing tough stuff!

As far as the floating lines, I wish they would make one where the last 10' wouldn't fall apart after 40 days of fishing. Although, the peach color line is alright. My dad had one I bought for him, and it lasted a pretty long time.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Still fishing my old Cortland 444 peach floating lines. Newer models might be better, but I'm not sure why I'd change.

Sg

Olive bugger likes this.
  10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

My Cortland 444 also still floats. Newer is not always better -- I've seen that many times in the auto biz.

11. shawn k

shawn k Member

cortland went to hell when Leon Chandler died and some suits bought the company. The lazer line was a perfect example of a shitty product. Their shooting heads were the best the blue intermediate and the one sink were the best lines for tide water and lakes.

12. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

That kind of thing seems to happen a lot these days.