Cots

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Yard Sale, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

Big fan of cots. Quick to breakdown, great sleep on any surface, no pole for the gods to break.

Been running the basic Coleman cot the last few years. Been good, get 2 years out of a $50 cot. Easy to breakdown and long enough for a 6'2" guy and a pillow. Perfect for steelheading.

Looking to do some boat fishing, long drift, streamer fishing this fall. Hoping to find something under 25 lbs and $150.

Any ideas?

2. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Cabelas. Lots of choices.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I think mine is a slumberjack. Comfortable enough for a cot. Better than sleeping on the ground. Far less comfortable than sleeping in a hammock.

oldgoat03 likes this.
  4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I tried one of those military surplus jungle hammocks back in the eighths, that thing was a torture device intended to cripple a otherwise healthy person. The modern variations must be much improved, may have to try one .

5. Ed Call

Media:
    Anyone willing to travel can take a nap on mine on the back porch. I only have this one type. Many big box stores have dozens of variations. Go there and take a lot of naps!

6. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I've used these roll cots for 10+ years. I typically sleep on it 15 - 20 weeks each year.

http://www.campmor.com/camp-time-roll-a-cot.shtml

You'll want some sort of pad because otherwise it's like sleeping on a water bed filled with cold water.

You can get them for ~ $100 - $125.

Trapper

2506 likes this.
  7. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

I have the Slumberjack big cot. It's wider and longer than most and a good cot. On the down side it's fairly heavy at
    around 18 pounds and a bit cumbersome to setup. (takes a lot of space to fold out)

http://www.slumberjack.com/p-574-big-cot.aspx

If the extra size isn't a consideration, the cot Trapper recommended looks good to me. Like the weight and tensioning
    feature.

8. 2506

2506 Active Member

I started using this years ago as a guide on the Rogue and have never looked back. Perfect for any application:
    http://www.camptime.com/roll-a-cot.htm

They sell them at REI. I like them because they're cool in summer because they're mesh. When it gets colder, just deploy a Thermarest and you're golden. $125 or so for the regular.

9. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    One more vote for the roll-a-cot. Well made, easy to set up, and more comfortable than a Beautyrest when paired with a Paco pad type deal.

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I actually just picked up a couple of the new generation military cots. Not the old school ones. Made with an aluminum frame. Pretty nice, easy setup (well, except you need a bar of some sort to pop piece in), and comfortable. Plus, holds a ton of weight to boot. SO even my fat ass is comfortable. LOL. Seriously though, it's lighter too. I like having solid under me.

11. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Active Member

I have to agree on the roll a cots. I have been using them for 15+ years and love them. Easier to set up and takedown then traditional diagonal leg cots,store in about 6"x 36" roll, and weigh next to nothing. The rubber mesh does not absorb water. First started using them on whitewater trips and did not even store in dry bags. On a boat or horses, only way to go. They also used to be made in Spokane, do not know if that is the case now though.

12. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

So I guess I'll be the dissenting voice here!

I've never enjoyed sleeping on a cot! Limited space and you're stuck with the firmness of whichever cot system you buy.

OTOH, I love sleeping on the Coleman air beds. I have a double for when I camp alone and a queen for when the wife is with me.

I can increase or decrease the pressure depending on the whims of me or my partner. It's like having a Sleepnumber bed without the expense!

I inflate 'em up with a 12V pump but carry a manual pump as a backup.

13. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I am with dipnet.

I use a Coleman air bed. As he said... pick the comfort level you like. The King size( both units together) weighs 13 lbs, I usually use the single unit.
    I shift around when i sleep, i would be off the cot and on the ground many times during the nite.

14. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Interesting ,because I've never slept on a cot, always a Thermorest which is getting way too hard for my aging self. We have a queen Air Bed in the house for guests and drunks and that thing is super comfortable. Surprised to hear so many saying cots are comfortable. Good to know because I'm done with the Thermorest and need something else for the tent and back of the SUV.

15. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I still use my thermorest(s) when needed. They have to be 20 yrs old and not a single issue with them.

16. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    You will freeze your ass off on a air mattress when it's cold. Your body heat can't keep up with the heat loss of them. I know from experience.

The air inside the mattress will just stay cold. It's like sleeping on a very comfortable block of ice!

Ed Call and Freestone like this.
  17. 2506

2506 Active Member

You can fit two roll-a-cots in a standard pickup bed. With a canopy, it's pretty decent accommodations with plenty of room underneath for your gear.

18. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Hmmm methinks Ed lives just down the road and his back porch would make a sweet escape from the honeydo lists. I do enjoy a good nap.

Ed Call and jeff bandy like this.
  19. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Just remember, Ed likes to be the little spoon.;)

20. Ed Call

Media:
    Ed does not spoon. Remember it is Jeff who's been in the elk humping tent!
    Nick, bring your cot and sleeping bag and you are welcome on the back deck anytime. If the weather is harsh, you can move into the large backyard gazebo, so long as you don't mind that there is an occupied bat house set up in there. The bats don't mind the company, just so long as you are not eating their bugs.

oldgoat03 and Stonefish like this.