Cotter pin shanks

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ed Call, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    For those using cotter pin shanks, what sizes are you tying them on? I just got a huge box set of probably a couple thousand from very small way up to 2 1/2" in length. I was noting someone tying some mini-intruders and I had thought that would be cool on some of the smaller ones. What if anything could/should be tied on the larger ones? Thanks for the input, and who might want to trade a cool tying material or tube material that I might not have and I can trade you some of these cotter pins for using like shanks.

2. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    the huge ones would be good for large intruders. could you post a pic of the bigger ones?

3. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
  4. Jeff

Jeff Member

How are you guys using them? Tying a piece of mono to the back and tying a hook to that?

j

5. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

6. Ed Call

Media:
    I'll try to post a photo of the various sizes and a ruler for scale. Maybe tonight at home if I can every get away from work.

7. GR8LAKES FLYER

GR8LAKES FLYER Member

Media:
    I've been wondering about these for a while trying to understand why everyone wants to use them over waddington shanks ??

I see that they are zinc plated . Not a good moisture inhibiter , meaning they would rust quickly if not properly dried .
    Also , what is the price of them ?? I know Waddington shanks are $6.50 for 25 at RedShed and other fly shops , that's $0.26 each ..... Are they much less than that ??
    Is it the fact that the Waddington has an up/down eye , depending on which way it is tied ?? Cotter pins are straight looped .

Not trying to put anyone's ideas down , just really curious ....

Mike

8. Ed Call

Media:
    Stainless, although some are zinc plated, the ones I came across are stainless. They likely will hold up well.

1000 for under $10. That is right at $0.01 each. They may be an inferior product. I have not been totally pleased with my ability to hold them while tying, a couple of things work but I'm working on making that process better. I like the varied lengths and diameters available in this package that I found. That can help me vary size and weight of patterns. I'm not expecting my flies to last a lifetime, otherwise investing an extra $0.25 per fly would be the way to go. I'm thinking they might serve me well for both freshwater and saltwater applications. I got the idea from other waddington threads here and thought I would kick the tires. I've got enough of these things to tie for years, but had I purchased waddingtons I would have spent $260 on waddingtons (1000/25=40X$6.50=$260) versus $10. Much easier to tie flies and buy groceries, just a poor man's idea that I'll try to make work.

9. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    Stainless cotter pins are about .19-.30 apiece.

Arguments for them include (in my experience): Inexpensive, very stiff, rounded profile, large eye, comparatively heavy, widely available.

Arguments against (again, in my experience): Half-round "eye" prone to cutting anything less than 17lb test easily, large diameter of "eye" precludes the use of small knots, poor quality control leads to imperfections and variations batch-to-batch.

The solution?

Clipped Mustad stainless 34011 sz1. Arguably the shittiest hook made, suitable only for clipping. At .16/per, the best and easiest way to go...once again, in my experience.

If you still wanna do the cotters, here's a pic.

Attached Files:

10. GR8LAKES FLYER

GR8LAKES FLYER Member

Media:
    Thanks for the responses guys .

Mike

11. Ed Call

Media:

I guess I got a hell of a deal price wise, even if they are garbage. Speaking of those shittiest hooks ever, I bought a bunch, two or three volume packs for about $0.06 per a while back. Maybe I'll just use them until they are gone. I thought the cotterpin shanks would give me better size/weight variation, which is why I got them and why I'll use them. Maybe after I lose the fish of a lifetime I'll rethink my position. Mumbles is a fool.

12. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Stainless spinner blade shafts (striaght) Cheap, corrosion resistant,cut to length, rounded eye, Only down fall is they are not as stiff as i would like, but you will get used to that.

13. slippery_whippet

slippery_whippet Member

Media:
    Mumbles you are no fool. Thanks to this thread I now know where to get Waddingtons for only $6.50 a pak! Caring is sharing ;) Honestly, I have blown plenty of loot experimenting with way crazier ideas, it is all part of the journey.

Thanks to GR8LAKES FLYER for the tip as well! :thumb:

14. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I got my 1000 stainless ones for 2cents each several years back. They work great. I've never cut a line on the sharp end, but I articulate with firewire which doesn't cut easily. I've pulled in countless salmon and steelhead on the MOALS and loop leeches I tie with them. Frankly, with the number of flies I go through I wouldn't be able to afford Waddington's.

15. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Ok, Ok, Ok,....Here it is! :thumb:

Attached Files:

16. docstash

docstash Member

Stainless Steel coils from .011" dia @ $10.99 for 767' to .043" @ $7.49 for 50'.. Roll your own. Craig

17. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    stash- where are you getting that stuff, local hardware store? just bending them with pliers?

18. docstash

docstash Member

Joe, Cabelas, bend around needle nose pliers for loops, fold in half, take your pick.

19. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
  20. Ed Call

Media:
    Eric, if you have purchased these shafts in the past, can you tell us how many are in each pack? I did not see a quantity per pack listed on your page link or in my cabela's catalog. Thanks.