Could I use this rig for salmon...???

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by 05tacoma, Aug 17, 2005.

1. I'd like to use my 6 wt. with a floating line and a 12-15 ft. leader. Am I wasting my time? :beathead:

I know the ticket is the clear sinking line, but with a Montana trip to fish the Ruby around the corner I'm watching my budget.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Mike

2. That should work fine. I've gotten mine nearer the top than the bottome anyway.

Willie

3. Most of my takes are also near the top or as soon as the fly hits the water. Go get busy.

4. That's all I use and I catch my fair share..

Go git 'em!!!!

5. i use a floating line and a popper. should work just fine.

6. I agree. Use what you have. You might even try a shorter (9') leader, before you make it hard with a long leader.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

7. I hooked over 20 pinks this morning using a 10 foot leader on my 6wt (and 8wt) both with floating lines. A 6wt is great. A few guys were using 5s and still did fine for the most part...

8. Chad, you had to drop that '20' fish count in didn't you? you're killing me! :eek:

9. Notice I said "hooked". Landing them was another story... These were 100% chrome and suprisingly strong and aggressive biters and fighters.. A few fish I saw streak from 20 feet away like a silver bullet and slam it 15 feet from me. Other times I would cast to a swirl and have a fish on before my first strip in. Then there were those I hooked as I drew my line to re-cast - missed, flipped it back, and hooked em again. Then there was the mad scramble of fisherman getting outta the way of a running fish in 2-3 feet of water - followed closely by a high speed seal making a huge wake in pursuit.... Made me wish I fished the salt more than once or twice a year :)

10. What a riot man, sound like a great time, combat fishing or not.

11. I've been pretty pleased with the Cortland 333 Clear Intermediate Sinking line and you can pick them up at GI Joes for less than $30.

Good things about the 333 clear intermediates are that they shoot really, really well (once they get wet), they seem to handle wind better than higher-profle floating lines of equal weight, and they allow you to fish just below the salad and the chop. I also think that you have a higher percent of hook-ups since their is less slack in the line. But the biggest benefit for me is that you can use a shorter leader so it is easier to throw clousers and big cone heads (I go with a 4ft tapered 2X leader and 3 feet of 2X or 3X tipit. I've found that my distance is serverly hindered by long leaders and heavy weighted flies.

Good Luck - Benn