Couple of likely flies?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by wannafish, Mar 24, 2014.

1. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

I'm pretty new to the stillwater fishing game. On the first week of April, we're going to be headed out on a tour of various E. WA lakes for my vacation/kids spring break. I'll have the 12' boat and float tube and I have a lot of spots earmarked to check out.

What would be some good and somewhat easy to tie flies that might be productive for these fisheries? I'm just looking for some "good to have in the box" type of offerings to add to my arsenal for this type of fishing. I'll mostly be fishing the basin lakes.

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Olive buggers in sizes 10 and 12.

Gold rib hare's ear

Adams (perhaps a bit early but I live on the wet side so I
    so not know what is hatching.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Toni,

Which lakes are you considering? The standard woolly buggers would be a good starting point in black, olive and maroon colors. Not sure where you are at for fly fishing ability but chironomids are very useful around April 1st. I'm sure others will chime in.

4. Olive bugger

Pheasant tail nymphs and Baetis

5. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Ice cream cones in red, san juan worms, and don't forget the damselfly nymphs.

6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Some simple to tie, effective stuff for the basin: Olive willy, simiseal leeches (black/red, maroon, olive/brown, olive/burnt orange), pheasant tail and hare's ear nymphs. If you fish vertical, bring the chironomids.

Have intermediate and fast sink lines for trolling and casting/stripping. Floating lines and indicators for vertical presentation.

7. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

I'm surprised you didn't mention micro leeches. One of the easiest effective patterns is a size 12 scud hook with a bead to match, tie in a marabou tail of your choice and wrap the rest of the marabou feather forward to the bead and tie it off. Simple but can work extremely well at times.

Patrick Gould and Islander like this.
  8. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Why not any of the standard flies a,e, Beadhead hares ear, Prince nymph,Bead head Pheasant Tail, Partridge and orange, Ants, Birdnest softy hackle & etc. I put a bead head hares ear under a bobber at Leech Lake caught my share of fish

9. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Along with all the other flies mentioned, I like to have some big stuff in the fly box just for trolling. Like something in marabou with a little flash about 3" long. Big fly big fish right... I've been making tube flies that are big with lots of marabou that can draw some heavy hits!

10. chief

chief Active Member

The flys mentioned above pretty much cover it, but I agree, having the right line is often just as important as having the right fly. I also find a depth finder to be useful when first getting to know a lake. I believe the majority of fish get caught with the fly within a few feet of the bottom or within a few feet of the surface (or on the surface). Knowing the depth, and having the right line to reach it, will help you keep your fly in the zone.

11. Olive bugger

Somebody mentioned Carey Specials in another thread. I had forgotten about this fine producer.

12. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Hale Bops are easy to tie and work well. Maraboo tail, mohair or other buggy dubbing for the body, red throat.

13. Olive bugger

Partridge and orange are always popular with the trout.

Just about any of the soft hackles.

14. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

Thanks for the tips! I saved some pics of many of those options to my iPhone. I'll be tying I the evening in camp since I haven't had any time lately. I've got the boat, gear, tying equipment, cold beer, good cigars, bad cigars (really...) and hopefully whatever else I need.

We're really just going to go where the wind blows (or hopefully where it doesn't...). I'm also hoping to put my son on some good fish with his spinning rod (and hopefully some flies on the end but I'm willing to do what it takes). Not looking for trophies, just relaxation!

15. Olive bugger

Cigars are bad for you. Drink beer instead. :D

Good luck.