Cowboy Coffee Pot Tipper

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Trapper Badovinac, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I have this 2.5 gallon stainless steel coffee pot.

[​IMG]

I bought it because in the fall I would end up making 2 gallons of coffee each morning. The guys would drink coffee for breakfast, then want to fill their little bullet thermos for lunch. I have a 1 gallon pot but when I was in the middle of serving breakfast or making lunches I'd have to stop and make another pot of coffee.

I like it but it's a beast. It weighs ~ 8 lbs empty and with another 2.5 gallons of water it will be 30 lbs. That's way too heavy to lift by the side handle with one hand and pour.

I've seen these on calf branding sites.

[​IMG]

I'd like to have one that would suspend the pot just above a wood stove.

Does anyone know of this?

Trapper

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Trapper, I saw my share of those during my youth in the Big Hole River country, but those were made by a local fella in Wisdom, but I doubt that he is around any more. However, I found them on-line from reasonable to spendy:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/91825767/cowboy-campfire-coffee-pourer-for
    http://www.hansenwheel.com/store/wa...ets/coffee-pot-tipper-hanger-hand-forged.html
    http://www.cowboycooking.com/blacksmith_goods.html

Wouldn't be terribly hard to make if one had access to an oxy/acetylene rig & mild steel, plus a few basic tools.

Jim

3. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
    Jim,

Good links!

Yup, I too have seen them set up over campfires during calving and branding seasons. I've seen them in historic photos.

What I'm looking for is the basic design but instead of being suspended on vertical posts on each side of a campfire ring it would instead suspend over a woodstove by some sort of frame that would sit on the stove.

I'm a lot of things, but a welder or Blacksmith isn't one of them. I'm thinking I may just take the photo down to a guy I know who does this sort of thing. I thought maybe someone else had already done it. The one link you gave me said the guy's Blacksmith shop burned down in December so he couldn't do custom work any more. I would have jumped on that.

Trapper

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Shouldn't need to weld, Trapper, just heat, hammer, bend & drill. Depending on the height of your stove, you may want to consider a 4-legged support ("buck" to us old-timers, lol.). I Googled "Wrought Iron Metal Works" in Helena & came-up with a couple hits; they may be able to help. I'll be back in the Deerlodge Valley sometime this month; my friend may be willing to take this on if I help, but we'd need a rough sketch & dimensions. I can inquire if you'd like. There is a foundry in Anaconda that may be worth a call; I don't know if they do small jobs, but the worst they could say is "No." http://www.affcomfg.com/fabrication.asp.

Good luck with your quest.

5. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
    Thanks Jim. I'm going to town today and I'll stop by and see if one iron worker/Blacksmith is interested in making it for me. If that fails I'll keep looking.

Trapper

6. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    I'll show it to my friend Jan, who's a world-class blacksmith. Shouldn't be at all difficult. Should I get back to y'all on a price? We'll get one for our elk camp this fall.

7. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
    You bet. Let me know how much. Keep in mind I need it to sit on top of a wood stove.

Trapper