Cowlitz for steelhead, when and where?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Wimpywade94, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Wimpywade94

Wimpywade94 New Member

I have only fished on the cowlitz one time, but im itching to go back for some steelhead action, but when do they get there?

Last time i was there it was around memorial day and i was right outside of packwood, didnt cover much water, didnt have much time,

is that to high up for any decent steelhead, or are there any steelhead there at all?

i dont know the river, if someone could point me in the right direction i would apreciate it.

thanks!

wade

2. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

Wimpy,

If you want to catch Steelies on the 'Cow, you need to fish below the Barrier Dam and/or Blue Creek. They are in the Salkum area. If you were fishing around Packwood, you were about 20 miles too far upriver.

Watch out though, it can be absolute "combat fishing" on the Cowlitz if you fish from the bank with gear, even WORSE for the bank-fishing flycaster.

Good luck at the circus if you don't have a 'toon or a boat. :eek:

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Saw some steel Tuesday and the wife hooked but lost one while fishing for cutts below Blue Creek.

4. Wimpywade94

Wimpywade94 New Member

what about waders? any use by themselves up there or do i really need something to float in?

thanks for the tips.

wade

5. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Wade,

We were wading when VEE hooked the steel, but you need a toon or boat to get to the spot we were at. According to Steve Buckner the river was running at about 3000 cfm yesterday and it would have been a good float in a toon.

REE

6. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wade, I have limited experience wading the Cowlitz, but I can say that you'll get to more good water if you bring waders.

7. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Hey guys,

You don't absolutely need a boat, but if you don't have one you won't have much privacy.

There are spots that you can drive up to and that are productive. If you go to the Blue Creek boatlaunch (above Blue Creek) you'll probably see flyfishermen and/or just recognise good flywater. Plenty of fish are taken there, but you probably won't be alone.

A boat gives you access to miles of less pressured water and lots of runs that can hold a traveling steelhead. I live north of Seattle and would rarely drive all the way down there without either a raft or my sled.

Tight Lines!

Brian