"Cows kill fish"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Twilightman, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Twilightman New Member

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Anyone know where I can find this bumper sticker?
    Saw it occasionally in Wash state, but now that I live in Montana can't seem to locate one.....for obvious reasons!!!
  2. clockwork New Member

bothell township
    is that a reference to the livid cow outbreak?
  3. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    I saw some guy wearing a shirt that said "Save a cow, eat a fish" a couple weeks ago. It would have almost been worth the assault charge to give that guy what he deserved.
  4. Twilightman New Member

Missoula, MT
    I have some very strong opinions on this issue....".cows vs fish"..........but for now I'll just pray for rain and cooler weather, otherwise all the streams out here will be closed.
  5. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +647 / 0
    Cows don't kill fish.

Sloppy ranching and farming- poor husbandry practises- kill fish. Runof from cattle lots, pesticides, manure pits, erosion from overgrazing, and cattle freely roaming up and down river environments kills fish. Many ranchers are changing their ways. Slowly though....
  6. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I know that some people don't think too highly of Ted Turner, but, in his effort to reclaim habitat for "native" (I put quotes here, because the fish in question were not local natives, but a re-introduced native specie) cutthroat populations, he replaced the cows on his mega-ranch with buffalo. Apparently, buffalo behavior doesn't thrash the streams like that of cows. Nonetheless, I suppose that a low cow to river mile ratio (as in a large ranch) would not create the level of impact that a sloppy corporate farm does.
  7. Twilightman New Member

Missoula, MT
    I'm missing something here............Cows don't kill fish, but cattle freely roaming up and down river environments kill fish??????
    Being involved in stream restoration, I 'd be interested in knowing where the "many" ranchers are changing their ways. A few are changing and they deserve lots of credit.
  8. Kalm Member

Cheney, The Dry Side
    I have never heard of, nor seen a cow acually kill a fish. If that statement were true, that would have to be one seriously fast and carnivoristic bovine.

Therefore the bumper sticker stating as much will relegate those who seek improved fish habitat in cattle rearing regions extremists. And nobody takes an extremist seriously.
  9. bugnuts Member

U.P., WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I saw a cow last year that fell off a cliff into a hole on a SW Washington river and couldn't get out...don't know if he killed any fish on impact though. :7
  10. Twilightman New Member

Missoula, MT
    WOW!! An extremist bumper sticker! That is a joke....right??!
  11. Kalm Member

Cheney, The Dry Side
    How about "wheat kills fish", or "steak eaters kill fish"?
  12. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I used to have one years ago. I think it was from an Environmental Campaign.

Good luck finding one.

Rob
  13. Backyard SANCHO!

The River, WA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
  14. Twilightman New Member

Missoula, MT
    For anyone who cares about the relationship of cattle to stream degradation here's some info from Paul Koberstein who co-authored THE CLEAN WATER ACT;AN OWNERS MANUAL.

www.times.org/archives/2002/rivers1.htm
    The topic is "The Big Dry".......(cows plus drought equals misery for the rivers in the west)

Thanks for the feedback, guys...maybe I'll market some of those "extremist" bumper stickers.
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,655 / 0
    Are you sure that the cows doesn't stand for "Can of worms"

Just the musings of an old man.

Jim
  16. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    That's right....heh-heh-heh...

Roper,

Life goes on, enjoy it...
  17. pwoens Active Member

Spokane, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    The first thought that came to my mind was....ROPER!!! :rofl mustache man }(

~Patrick ><>

Faith is nothing until it is everything!
  18. Kalm Member

Cheney, The Dry Side
    Twilightman,

I'm on your side, but while you and I might be able to make the connection, many of those who raise beef (or in old man's case, worms), or enjoy consuming beef products probably do not. So they pull up behind your car and see one more enviro-wacko (not my words) who wants to rob them of their income or their big mac.