Coyote Calls

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Bill Dodd, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Media:
  2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

All the calling I have done has been with mouth calls, baby deer bleat was killer, rabbit or just take a shot and sit and wait for the dogs to come to what they think will be a gut pile.

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I use open reed calls exclusively (and I've chased & respected 'yotes for over 50-years).. Learn to use them (fairly easy), practice . . . unlike electronics which limit you to what you have loaded, open reeds allow you to make whatever sound you may need/is appropriate from howls, yips, rabbits/deer in distress, injured birds, mice, etc. Set a scenario & become the prey. If you're in the area, shoot me a PM. I'd be glad to take you out.

4. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Hey Bill,
    I use mouth calls only as well. I use the Primos Hot Dog as well as a prey distress. Between those two, I can come up with as many scenarios as needed to get the dogs in. I think electronic calls are very limited im comparison just because you can't customize the experience. For example, some dogs want an excited call, while others may want a cautious quite call. Electronics can't adjust like a mouth call can. PM me if you want more info...

5. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Bill,

I have a cow horn call by Herb's Howlers - you can make coyote yelps or screaming rabbit calls, etc. Nothing fancy, but effective. Using it one evening a couple summers ago,
    my son called in a coyote. He gave a scream, followed by some excited yelps, and within 10 minutes that dog came in full tilt.

http://www.herbshowlers.com/products.html

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
  7. Islander

Islander Steve

I have used a mouth call for most of my years of coyote hunting. I did buy a used digital remote system last summer (Phantom Pro-Series). I wanted to see if the remote set up would be better than having them come in toward you. If you're going to shoot them, the remote option allows you some better positioning options, but I don't pelt hunt anymore, just call them for fun. I agree with Jim and Luke. You can really customize your calling with a couple of mouth calls compared to the electronic. It's pretty much the same sound, although this one has a variety of different noises. You can also add emotion to the mouth call and quickly modify volume or intensity depending on the situation. That can be a huge benefit depending on how they are responding. I've had some that had to be coaxed in soft and slow, while others basically ran into my lap after a couple load squalls.

8. Gregg H

Gregg H Member

May I suggest you start with mouth calls. For me its just more gratifying finishing coyotes with a hand call. Also, I would also highly recomend a motion decoy to keep the eye's off you during your stand. Shoot lots of paper and practice hunting scenarios like moving your bi pod/sticks to differant angles and quickly getting on target. Make sure you capitalize on your looks! BE READY. They will appear from shadows like a ghost.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Bill Dodd

Media:
    Thank you for all the info guys and the great offers, I will start with mouth calls.

Thanks again to all of you.

Bill.

10. Jim Ficklin

You're welcome . . . I'll be heading out in about an hour or so. This light snow ought to get them moving pretty good. Enjoy!

11. Bill Dodd

Media:
  12. Jim Ficklin

And always start calling softly at first (I prefer to "squeek"); you never know when you may have set-up almost on top of a 'yote. Good luck & enjoy!

13. Bill Dodd

Media:
    Good advice Jim, thanks for all your help..

BD.

14. Mike McAvoy

Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Good information on the calls. As a neophyte with both coyotes and muzzleloaders; would a 50 cal Hawken work for hunting? I guess the real question would be what is the range you normally get a shot?
    Mike

15. Jim Ficklin

Back in the day, a Hawken .50 downed more robust critters than coyotes . . . it should work as long as you hold yourself to your normal distance limitations. I've taken coyotes with handguns, rifles, and a longbow, so you can get them in quite close given the right conditions. Cover, not moving, & blending-in are your friends. Closest 'yotes I've called-in were within 15-feet or so, but it doesn't happen that often. With increased hunting pressure & wise coyotes, most shots are likely between 70 & 200 yards nowadays, which is why most folks use a flat-shooting centerfire such as the venerable .223. I'd avoid using a rimfire anything unless they're really close, you're a dead shot, and a proficient tracker. Where your Hawken would be fine assuming a good hit, remember that a 'yote can be a tough critter.

16. Mike McAvoy

Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Thanks Jim, will give it a try
    Mike

17. Big valley

Big valley notworry'n bout it

Media:
    I use a combination of both. I usually start with a hand call so I can broad cast to my left, center & right, weather it be coyote vocalization or distress. I place my e-call at moderate volume with decoy up wind between 20 - 50 yards depending on set up. For cats I pretty much just go with the e-call & let it play continuously. Dave

18. Bill Dodd

Media:
    More good info, thank you Dave.

BD.

19. YoungGun9

YoungGun9 Member

hey i and 16 and me and my dad just bought some bushmaster AR-15's and are ready to try out some coyote hunting. our first coyote adventure is the weekend after clossing waterfowl. andy tips? we are hunt near vantage with no experiance on coyote hunting at all.. but i am driving down to cabelas to pick up a call tommorro, any suggestions? thanks alot guys!!

20. Bill Dodd

Media:
    What kind of a call are you picking up?
    I'm also heading down to Cabellas to pick up my first Electric Caller, On my way to Puyallup Saturday for the Sportsman Show.

BD.