crab creek

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutcatcher6, May 10, 2009.

1. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    Is it worth fishing up near Reardan? Or should I go a bit southeast?

2. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH it's a freaking secret.

3. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    I read in the regs that the creek is closed from Morgan Lake Road to O'sullivan dam, but I can't seem to find Morgan lake road on any map. Where is this?

4. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

Dude... SHUUTTTTT UUUPPPPPPP:beathead::beathead::beathead: NO TALKY ABOUT CREEKY!!!!:( JK, I havn't looked at the regs, but I lIke this creek

5. Regan Babst

Regan Babst Member

Crab Creek is the worst kept secret on this board... :)

6. John Hilt

John Hilt YeeeeHaaw

It is also the longest ephemeral stream in North America. (or so they tell me)
    :beer2:

7. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Media:
    Too bad it sucks now because of poor grazing practices and streambank erosion, and springs gone dry. Not to mention the wet sections are private. Troutcatcher......look elsewhere, there are much better streams north Spokane.

8. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

I always have to laugh a bit when people get abuse for asking questions about creeks that are in the regulations booklet (not so much on this particular thread, but in general). I certainly understand there is a desire to minimize use/impact on certain less-known waters, but in those cases where one is in the regs, I'll confidently assume that more people see the name _____ creek/river in the regulations booklet than on this site.

9. troutingham

troutingham Member

Media:
    Dude, no body reads regs. Are you kidding? They just ask everyone on this site.:eek:

10. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

No doubt everyone that ever has fly fished in Washington used this site for information on regulations.

11. Trent

Trent Ugly member

iagree If it is listed in the "specil rules" section of the Regs; that means that it gets fished enough, that the powers to be deem it nesecary to put regulate it more. This means that the body of water is no freakin secret. Same goes if a body of water is listed in a guide book, Flyfisher's Guide to Washington for example, again no big secret:thumb:

12. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    this...

13. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Last weekend I was passing through an area that Crab Creek occupies and I thought I'd give it a go as a day earlier the Yak looked a little quick and muddy colored. I fished a couple stretches of Crab Creek in the Glyod Seeps Wildlife Area. Only caught a carp and a yellow perch. My gazetteer showed springs that either I couldn't find or were dried up but I know I was in the right area. Saw a ton of carp and water that didn't look very hospitable to trout. I'm sure the agricultural practices in the area contributed to the poor water quality. But I'll probably give Crab Creek another try elsewhere as it meanders for quite some distance.

14. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    There are lots of little spring creeks over on the dry side and all you all need to do is look for where the bridges cross these little creeks and there is where you will find most of your access. Shit it can't be any harder than that. Or is it that you all are to lazy to go out and look.

That's the fun in finding your own fishing secret hot spot. Going by yourself.

I know by one thing that it took me lots of gas to find all I fished but in the long run it was all worth it. If I was still in Washington, I could take off and go someplace that nobody else goes because it is too far or too far down hill that they don't want to climb.

Jim

16. Trent

Trent Ugly member

iagree Start at the bridges. If you do okey there, go explore the harder to reach areas of that stream. My guess as to why folks are not willing to readly tell people where these spots are, is because of what Jim said, it takes alot of gas and time to find them. Some guys work pretty damn hard to find these small streams that they like to fish. I spent pretty much a whole summer a while back just exploring the headwaters and tributaries of one river. I still have more to explore, including alot more water on the other fork to this "S" river.

17. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

That is part of it.

But also, for me, the other part is solitude. I really like it. I go fish in places with fewer fish even, just to be alone or alone with a close friend.

When these places start to get discovered and whored out on the internet, they are no longer places of solitude and they completely change for me. This is why I hate posting specific places on the net.

Let the loners be alone!

18. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    ok here is the bottom line on the issue. its great if u like to keep a secert or whatever but some people wont care. u can cry about it for days on end, but in the end people are gonna talk. its not YOUR creek and your solitude isnt really a reasonable request on public land. if u want solitude, hook up with a private property owner.

19. Fast Action Freddie

Fast Action Freddie Member

actually the bottom line is this: we all know a long list of places that used to provide better fishing or fishing experience "back when" before the internet forums existed (including already completely "known" places that now get slammed just because they get "talked up" on the board ... sure, it was no secret and no new news, but the talk sure can get a lot of people to show up at the same time ... ). so i completely 100% agree "it is not YOUR creek" -- but you owe it to yourself (if you care about a fishery) to ask yourself before you post: if my post sends dozens of people (new or already "in the know") to fishery X, could it make the fishing or fishing experience worse? (especially over time as things spread).

if the answer is no - post away. that's why i post freely about lenice, nunnally, dry falls, yakima, etc. they've reached a state of equilibrium (i.e. already at maximum visitation) so cannot be compromised. IMO

if the answer is yes -- an influx of people could make the fishing or fishing experience worse -- don't post, or if you do, then i'd have to ask: did you actually really care about the fishery (or your fishing experience there)???

just suggesting we think before we post -- whether it's about a fishery or Jimmy LeMert :)

btw - Jimmy, if you're out there, if you could set me up with a sweet deal on a 3 wt set up like you did for my friend Joe - please drop me a PM :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

20. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Also, to expand on this idea, I have a question. Have you ever fished a small stream behind someone else (even a 1/2 a mile or so behind them)? If you, like me, fish alot of small streams, I'm guessing you know where I'm headed with this.

These smaller streams don't have the number of fish in them that bigger streams do. So if someone is up ahead of you fishing, the chances are you ain't going to hook up with much fish. There have been times on a few of the more "well known" small streams that I fish that I was able to tell if someone was fishing ahead of me, even if I didn't see them or their vehicle. Sure enough, quite fishing and just cruise in the direction you were headed and you will see someone there fishing. Now you could be rude (depends on who you talk to), and creep past them in the woods and jump in ahead of them. In my opinion this is rude, I will just leave and go to a different stream (we have enough of them in this state). On that last note, when fishing with someone else, it is best to use a "leap frog" method of fishing a small stream, or just head in different directions, don't hog the good fishing to yourself, be considerate of the guy you are fishing with. Also, alot of small streams fall under statewide rules (not just fly fishing, you can use powerbait in these waters if you want to), so that means that people can go to them and not release the fish they catch. If you posted one of them on the forum, I garentee that the fishing in that stream would get destroyed, it doesn't take long for people who keep everything they catch to deplete one of those small streams.

Also, it takes work to find "good" little streams. Why should I do all the work just to turn around and give it to a stranger for free? Don't get me wrong here I have no problem "shareing" info with someone else, or taking them out to one for a days fishing. I just don't like to spout it out for free.