Crab traps

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Sloan Craven, Jun 28, 2009.

1. rockfish

rockfish Member

cant wait til tomorrow am to dump the pots before work, I leave my pots out there during the time its opened an check them when I can so I use the danielson pots for that. never had one stolen but I know it happens all the time here in manchester. last winter blackmouth fishing in front of fuel depot I snagged a pot out of season with a downrigger line with no buoy an it was plum full of very large crab. Dont worry, i let them go. I have a fancy pot that I use only for day trips when A buddy or my son wants to drop a pot somewhere an check it quite often

2. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Curt,

You need to weight the doors and tie the corners and the escape factor is reduced significantly.

3. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    I like the pots that have the vertical curtain that goes all the way around. When you drop it they can get in anywhere on the sides. They fish like rings, but keep em in like pots.

If you want to try some really good bait they can't really eat, but holds em in the pot I recommend this stuff made in Oregon called Crab Butter. I warm it up in the sun and then smear it on a sponge that I put inside the bait box. It is made from parafin and crab fat. It works super. My bro has the guys who run his commercial boat (The Ms Humboldt) in NorCal use it to great success.

4. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Floatinghat -
    Yes it helps to tie the top and bottom of the trap to the sides - I use wire ties on three sides (3 ties per side) leaving just one side that can open. I mark that side with a piece of flaggers tape. Weighting the doors also helps ( I use pieces of pencil lead (3/16") wrapped around the center door post.

In spite of that it still seems that crabs escape more easily from those traps than the more traditional traps (I have tested that by soaking them both with a known number of crabs). I think it has to do with the position of the doors which allows some crab to escape while others have the door pushed open to enter. The very thing that allows those traps to "fish faster" than the round commerical type is also what allows the crab to escape more easily. In short when I expect to fish my traps several times a day I prefer the Danielsons and my round wire traps for over night sets.

Tight lines
    Curt

5. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    good luck to all tomorrow :thumb:

6. rockfish

rockfish Member

dumped the pots about 530 am before work and this evening hopefully they will be full of crabs

7. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Good luck. I will not get a chance to put ours out till Friday morning most likely. Reminds me, I still need to make a crab condo to hold them till I am ready to cook them up.
    Now were did I leave the bucket and lid so I can start drilling holes into it.

8. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I believe it is the case that it is not legal to begin crabing prior to 7:00 AM on opening dates.

Tight lines
    Curt

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Curt, correct as printed on Page 130 in the regs. I did not know that until I read your post and looked it up. Good to know! Thank you as always.

10. rockfish

rockfish Member

whoops, an I thought I was late

11. Griswald

Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Took 3 HUGE Dungeness males, and 3 nice Red rock crabs.

We will see today how I did over night.

Best, and good eating...

Griswald

12. We limited out yesterday, I even went to Walmart and bought a 30 qt. Turkey Fryer kit and boiled up the crab for a little feast. Good stuff! I'll be out again tomorrow, deep trolling for Kings and later bucktailing for Coho. We'll be dropping the pots and hoping for a nice 4th of July crab fest.

13. Ed Call

Media:
    Not cooking them onboard this trip Yellowlab? I loved that report from last fall with you and your pal catching and feasting while underway!

14. rockfish

rockfish Member

I should have knocked on wood, got a pot jacked last night an my other someone pulled up an took the crabs an baitbox, good way to start a day

15. Nick Metzman

Nick Metzman Member

Media:
    ya, when I have left pots overnight we came back the next day to pull them and there was nothing in them. I'm convinced someone pulled them and took the crabs or they somehow crawled out. Sorry about your traps, its a shame that people do stupid crap like that.

Nick

16. CLO

CLO They baitin'

Media:
    I caught one nice dung and red at bowman bay yesterday

17. Ed Call

Media:
  18. Nope...I don't have room for the full size propane burner on the new boat. I can hardly sleep now, have to get up in a couple of hours to launch the boat and wait around til the sunrise. Who made the rule that you can't drop the pots until 7 am?

19. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Just passing the word Outdoor Emporium has complete square pot set ups including 100ft of lead rope and float for $35. Best price I have seen around this year. Any one come across better price yet?

20. Ed Call

Media:

Yellowlab, if I'm reading it right the 0700 pot drop time is on opening day for each marine area. I'm still often mesmerized by the depth and potential confusion of the regs (or I'm just stupid...likely the case). I don't want to lead you wrong, but check out page 130.

If anyone else knows for sure that would be nice to hear, regardless of if I'm interpreting it right or wrong as to being 7am on opening day only.