Cracked Spey Lines

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Metalonthefly, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

I have terrible luck with Spey Lines. They are constantly cracking and you know the rest, your pissed b/c they cost $70, they don't cast as smoothely, they get caught on the eyelits when landing a fish, etc. I fish all conditions, sometimes hot on the Deschutes and sometimes frozen-eyelits-cold on the OP. I sometimes use sink tip and sometimes not. I use Skagit heads when loading the sink tip and Scandi lines when fishing unweighted, so I do not think I'm overloading the spey line. I used to think that the cracking was due to the weather conditions, e:mad:xtreme cold, extreme heat, but it happens in all conditions. Then I thought I must be overstretching the line with weighted flies and a sink tip, but it happened when I grease-lined. WTF? :mad:

Any insights?

Thanks in advance.

2. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    All the major players in the line business have excellent customer service and stand behind their products 100%. If you have cracked lines you should contact whichever company made the line and see about getting a replacement.

3. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

I used to have problems with some of the older PVC constructed lines but have not had any of my Airflo or Rio lines crack. I make sure to clean the lines and store them out of the sun when not in use. SA makes a line cleaning kit the cleans and lubes the lines.

FYI

4. danimal

danimal Inglorious Twohander

Gotta B rio---right????

5. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Couple of things that you can consider.

1) Do you break off a lot? And if you do, are you pulling like a madman doing this? The PVC lines can only stretch so far before they fatigue, so if you are reefing hard on a line consistently it *will crack*.

2) How are you storing your line? If you consistently keep it in a car in desert heat, the line will end up having issues over time due.

3) Do you ever treat the line? You don't need to clean it every time out, but cleaning and treating it a few times a year (if you fish a lot) definitely helps lifespan.

I used to have serious issues with cracking with the older RIO lines too. Not sure why, but I'm pretty sure it's related to #1. Since I've been much better about not stressing the line *hard*, it's been much better.

6. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

I'll try the clenaing kit, have never done that. Thanks for the tip. The company's have been good about providing replacements, but it's a pain the butt to wait for a new line when planning fishing trips.

Thansk fro the replies.

7. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

This is great info. Thank you. I'll pay attention to these factors and see how it goes. Btw - yes to #1, Not ususally under #2, No to #3.

8. Sir Castalota

Sir Castalota New Member

Yup, that's been my experience. They make the cnd gps, which usually spiral cracks in a couple seasons-
    Good luck getting them to warantee it, you'll need it -

9. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

rio now does all their warehousing and shipping with sage and redington (far banks). right in your back yard. maybe you can see them in person for your replacements.