Crappie Fly swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by sean_k, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Mike Cline Fly Fishing Guerilla

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I was thinking of either some baby Clouser minnows or this other "bug--mash-up-thing-with-no-name" I tie that works well... Probably go with the latter.
  2. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    I was thinking about tying some crappie candy, which are similar to a clouser, but instead I think I will have a go at some fun sized EP baitfish. Kind of like this:

(not mine)
    [IMG]
    Irafly and Mike Cline like this.
  3. Mike Cline Fly Fishing Guerilla

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    That looks awesome.
  4. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 0
    Hey guys, I'm sorry to drop out at such a late date but I have too much on my plate right now to give this swap the attention it deserves. But from what I've seen so far it should be a dandy swap.

Ive
  5. KevinLS Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Count me in will ya?
  6. sean_k Active Member

Spanaway Wa.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Ive I took you off, Kevin your in.

I'll go ahead and close this swap with the eight tiers. Everyone send in seven flys each with a SASE by 15 April. My address will be sent out via PM. Thanks again to those who joined.
  7. KevinLS Member

Spokane, WA
    Gonna be a fun swap, I'm looking at patterns now. Decisions decisions...
  8. sean_k Active Member

Spanaway Wa.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Keith your flys came in the other day, Great flys!
    Keith Hixson likes this.
  9. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    My partner and I were fishing a lake in the Pan Handle of Idaho for trout. We saw some fish rising and rowed over and tossed a dry fly. We caught crappie, then we switched to wooley buggers and caught trout using a sink tip. Crappie on the surface and trout below from the same anchored spot. We got into quite a few fish and kept about 15 or more crappie for food. Little crappie fillets are good eating. Crappie on the surface and trout below, we thought that strange. I had always been taught that crappie ate primarily baby fish but they will take a dry fly on occasion.
  10. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    One of the reasons I love fishing Hutchinson Lake so much is never knowing what you'll find on your hook when you bring it in. Last summer with a small popper, three casts resulted in a bluegill, a crappie and a bass. Even more entertaining is throwing a small dropper under a popper. They'll hit one fly causing the other to twitch, then something will attack the other as well.
  11. steeli Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    The way my March is looking, I'll need the full April tax deadline to get mine in. I'll be tying a red-eyed damsel, pattern I've netted all kinds of warm water fish.
  12. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    I sat down and tried tying a couple EP baitfish last night. They turned out...sloppy. I need to spend some time getting the process down. Sloppy or not, they are neat little flies, I think they'll catch fish just fine.
  13. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    Little guys are done, sending them out on Monday.
    I went with a chartreuse because...well, I like em. :)

[IMG]
    KevinLS, atomic dog and sean_k like this.
  14. Keith Hixson Active Member

What size hook? I used a size six.
  15. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Those are Daiichi 1560 #10
  16. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    I sat down and tied some more baitfish. My consistency with these things is still crap, but I finally got one that I'm happy with. I can't wait to test these things out.

[IMG]

Hopefully by the end of the week I can get enough of them tied up that I am happy with and get them sent out.
    KevinLS and Eyejuggler like this.
  17. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Beautiful! Looks excellent to me!
  18. KevinLS Member

Spokane, WA
    Eyejuggler and Atomic both really nice looking ties! Eyejuggler I've had good success with a larger pattern like that in lakes. Just kind of like spoon fishing; fast strips in. Tie in flashy colors. Look forward to try the special small one.
  19. Keith Hixson Active Member

An Old Timer told me, "it isn't a crappie lure (fly) unless it has red." He said red represents injury to the crappie. Now I'm not so sure about his opinions because I have caught lots of crappie using little solid color jigs. But when I tie for crappie I always use a little red somewhere in the fly. Old Traditions kinda haunt you.
  20. Keith Hixson Active Member

This is my crappie spider. While trout fishing a lake many years ago we came across some crappie. Since my friend and I like to eat crappie we decided catch more. I changed to a steelhead fly called the "Wet Spider" It was a simple fly. Yellow chenille body and mallard flank for hackle. It is a great fly for sea run cutthroats also but that's for another thread. The fly I used was a size 6 and I caught a bunch of crappie that day. I went home and modified the fly. Added a white marabou tail. A little red chenille at the butt (all crappie flies should contain red) and a partridge for the soft hackle. I also will use soft grizzly hackle for the wing. Simple but effective fly. Used it for years. I tie it in size 8 or 6 Mustad 3906B or similar hook.

Attached Files:

• 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      455.2 KB
      Views:
    Olive bugger and atomic dog like this.