Crappie largest so far

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by hikepat, May 7, 2003.

1. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Went out to the small lake just down the street from where I live. I had to get my fishing fish for the evening. Slow trolled with a clear slow sinking line and a burgandy wooley, right off the shore catching 6 or 7 of the 10"-11" recent plants in this year round lake. Then I caught what I thaught when I first saw it was a nice sized bass. When I landed it it was the largest Crappie I have ever caught. It was large enough that both of my thumbs fit into its mouth with lots of room to spare. Me without a camera of course. Just goes to show that you never know what you will catch but it made my night. Even though I fish this lake 12 or more times a year for a quick fix I never even had caught Crappie in the lake before just Bass, Perch and trout. This Crappie was over 15" long and almost as tall. :7 :7 :7

2. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    You could have been holding a state record.

MAC

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

Yeah,it could of been one. The record for Crappie's are Black 4.50 lbs,White 2.80 lbs. It didn't give how big in inches they were.But as big as you said it was it might of been. :thumb

Jim

4. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Yea I am unsure what the weight might have been myself. I thaught about keeping it at the time since this one White Crappie was big enough for a meal and Crappie taste good, but then I thaught this here fish has beat the odds on this heavy fished lake by not getting caught by someone who would have done just that. The fish I felt was an old warrior and deserves to stay in the lake for at least awhile longer to have more young as soon as the water warms up just a tad more. Besides since I know what downed tree in the corner it was hiding out in. I might catch it again some time or one of its kids. Aslo I have no idea of any place in South King County where I would take a fish to get checked for a record any ways. So the big old fish is still there for another day for now.:beer2

5. Sparse Grey Hackle

Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Media:
    Last year I hooked a measured 14" crappie and thinking the whole state record thing I bonked it. I own an older book with the WA records and found that my fish was about a pound off. The record crappie was one damn big fish. I'll bet you'll find the new state record in Lake Washington just south of the East Channel Bridge. (FYI the crappie bite on Lake Washington is kind of a timing thing. In the summer, they hang off the drop-offs during the day and then come onto the shoals as soon as the sun starts to set. The bite occurs with lots of action at dusk when the horizon is red.) Or, maybe it will be in a multitude of lakes in E. Washington, maybe other places besides Lind Coulee, or Sprague Lake. Maybe it will be in one of the basin's 800 small lakes like ________?

Those big crappie are loners, and don't travel with the school, so you usually catch them while fishing for something else. I seem to take all my biggest crappie on yellow and black chenille flies. They seem to follow for awhile before they strike.

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)

6. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Media:
    Home Page:
    > I thaught about keeping it at the time since
    >this one White Crappie was big enough for a meal and
    >Crappie taste good, but then I thaught this here fish
    >has beat the odds on this heavy fished lake by not
    >getting caught by someone who would have done just
    >that. The fish I felt was an old warrior and deserves
    >to stay in the lake for at least awhile longer to have
    >more young as soon as the water warms up just a tad
    >more.

A big tip of the hat to you, my friend. Big fish like that may or may not be genetically bigger as well, putting big ones back in right before spawning is noble either way. Maybe the next person to catch him will be a kid - one who is old enough to know what he (or she) has got. Wouldn't that be cool?

Teeg.

---------------------------------------------

You can be a fish recycler, too. Let 'em swim.

7. IveofIone

IveofIone Guest

IveofIone
    Hike, if that is a west side crappie it is a hog!If it is an eastside fish then bigger and better things await you. I have caught a number of crappie 16" or more at Central Ferry, Chief Timothy, the Pend Oreille River and the biggest of all, 18" at Crow Butte. I never gave much thought to a state record though since so many big fish can be caught over on this side. I currently live about a mile from the Pend Oreille but don't fish it much since I don't have a suitable boat. There are huge crappie in there and the vast majority of them will die of old age rather than become table fare. The same can be said of the Snake and the Columbia. Ive

8. skater

skater New Member

That fish sounds like a monster bet there are more.Those things are fun to catch. They call em panfish for a reason. I will have to get some tommorrow now that they are on the bite.

9. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Not only West Side but King County to boot. Never fished for them myself except on West side. East side to for to go to fish for Crappie. I really have never thaught mush about records myself while I am on the water.

10. clockwork

clockwork New Member

those are indeed huge crappie. i caught about a 16" crappie on spring lake(western WA) using a fairly large Yuk Bug. while a 16" fish doesnt sound like that much, any crappie over 11" is a real hog and they fight like it too. can you imagine how cool theyd be to catch if they got the size that LM Bass do? and were consistently over 12"? problem is is that they are so good at populating that it is almost rare in most waters to nail one over 10". crappie have always been the hardest panfish to catch consistently. i can get the hang of bluegill pretty easily but crappie seem to be more quirky and less predictable. -ryan

11. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Here's some crappie mania for ya. Specially check out the ol' hog that's second from the bottom on the page.
    http://www.crappie.com/bestpicsfromads/pics.htm
    I went out looking for some crappie on Lake Ketchum last thursday didn't find em', but I did hook up with a bunch of bass in a small bay, not big the biggest around 9 inches but there was a lot of em'. I'll be back there monday after work, cause' this warm weekend should get em' schooling for spawning.

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Nice crappie in those pics. Many of those folks remind me of the guys I ran into last year at Potholes who said "I just don't get it - we used to catch 5 gallon buckets full of 'em 10 years ago...". I'm not against eating some fish - but how full does your freezer need to get??

13. clockwork

clockwork New Member

im feelin you chadk. nice photos but alot of those a-holes are probably wondering where all the crappie went by now. im sure soem of those crappie were released or harvested in modertation but it takes a real [expletive-deleted] to kill 50+ fish at a time. most probably just did it for the picture and the stories. there are several pictures of just unreasonable amounts of fish.

there is a place i like to catch burbot and they allow set lines on the lake and as of 3 years ago there was no limit. talked to one guy who claimed hed set 120 hooks and fill them all. now the limit is 5! thanks buddy! -ryan

14. IveofIone

IveofIone Guest

IveofIone
    I met one of those guys at Scooteney Reservoir a couple of years ago. He was fishing with his grandson and boo-hooin' about how the lake was was ruined for his grandson now that "they have fished it out". He said he and his son used to go out and fill up two 5 gallon buckets in a day with crappie and bass. I wonder if he ever figured out who "they" is! Ive

15. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Media:
    Home Page:
    I feel your pain, guys. If it wasn't in this thread, it was in another one that I said the same thing about "We used to pull 'em out of here by the bucketful..." It's a shame.

Those pics were "ugly beauty." Wonderful fish, painful to see them as slabs of meat.

Not to say, however, that selective harvest isn't justifiable. And if a person is going to keep fish, panfish are a good choice - tasty and quicker reproducing. :professor It's just too bad to see the biggest ones go, and especially so many at a time. And kinda 'glorified,' I sure prefer those pics taken at the water over those taken in a back yard, even if the fish is going to wind up in the frying pan.

Not to be ingrateful for the post - it was, and is, always fun to look at big fish pictures.

Teeg

-------------------------------

You can be a Fish Recycler too - let 'em swim.