Crease Fly

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by BuzFly, Jun 3, 2010.

1. BuzFly Member

Metuchen, NJ
    Ratings: +2 / 0

Here is a video I did for my club on the East Coast for a class I did last month.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/BuzFlyProducts#p/u/0/jbNA1zQoT_g[/video]

View attachment 31772

Hope you like it.
    Brad
  2. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +243 / 0
    Very nice video Brad.

Steve
  3. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    great video- I want to learn how to make those.
  4. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    I made several last year before I went to Loreto. They aren't very hard to do but I learned a couple of tricks as I watched the video. Good stuff. Earlier this year, I bought a body cutter for size 1 and 2 hooks from another member. I haven't used it yet but am getting ready to make some more. You can get large shheets of the sticky foam from KJoAnn fabrics for a song and they are the same stuff you pay $3 in a fly shop. I think I got 12, 9"X12" for $6 0r $7 . That's enough for a bag full of poppers if you're inclined to make that many.
  5. BuzFly Member

Metuchen, NJ
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    The key to them is cutting a good shape. Once you get a shape that you like and works for you that is great. But the one thing I can not stress enough is when gluing them on you only need a drop of glue on each side and pull it down to the back. Replay that part a bunch of time.
    DO NOT USE A LOT OF GLUE.

Also - start at the nose and work your way backwards. If you do it right, a bead of glue will run down the seam as you close it. No Clips or Kicker.
    One more thing
    DO NOT USE A LOT OF GLUE

Less is better.

Got more questions let me know.

Brad
    buz@buzfly.com
    Also check out www.ASWF.info for some great stuff. Look under Multimedia.
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,498 / 9
    Brad, awesome tutorial video. You have explained it and showed it so well that even a novice like me can confidently give that a shot. I'll be visiting buzfly and ASWF for more! I'm wondering for the Puget Sound guys if there are applications for such flies for salmon locally? I don't likely have a tropical trip on my calendar for a very very long time but I'd try to create some flies of this or a similar type for the puget sound beaches I like to stroll. Thanks for sharing the video and sites. ed
  7. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    Ed, I think you could use one for resident coho given it is tied small enough. I can also imagine a big coho smacking one on the surfice as well. The color is key. I have tied some that look like herring but haven't tried them yet.