Creek Company Voyager Frameless Pontoon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Josh Smestad, May 7, 2013.

1. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Since I sold my truck I've been looking for a more portable and easy to store fishing platform. I was about to go back to a FatCat but found this for $389 at Sportsmans and thought I'd give it a try. Couldn't find much info online so here's a mini review.
    This thing is comfy. Kicking around for hours is nice in an inflatable seat Vs. a hard or foam seat.
    It rows and tracks better than my 9' toon did. The oar system is actually kinda nice. Feels plenty solid rowing across the lake into the wind. Looked cheesy in the store but I'm sold.
    The seat IS high and dry. I fished today in a pair of shorts and my ass never got wet. I'm 6'3", 185lbs for reference.
    It's nice being able to recline the seat when you feel like it.
    The seat has pool toy valves that you have to pinch to deflate. I hate that.
    It seems to lean towards the back some. Wish the seat was a few inches more forward.
    I feel it's a slight bit slower kicking than my 9' toon, though still faster than a fatcat.
    My elbows rub against the strap on pocket while rowing some, though not too bad.
    The strap on pocket is big and nice, insulated to keep your bud light cool too.
    The storage behind the seat is pretty dry. Had a shirt, flip flops and hat back there and they were still dry when I got out hours later.
    No rod holder.
    I've read in another thread about concerns of the foot rest being sewn on. It's really solid. Don't worry on it.
    Comes with a nice pump, but buy a cheapo 12v to do most of the work. Inflated in about a minute with a $9 12v pump from freddies. Use that time to pump up the seat by hand.

This isn't in the same class as a scadden(although I've never compared it to one) but for someone that'll use it 10-15 times a year it should last for just about ever. And it has a lifetime warranty should you ever need it.

If anyone else has anything to add or modifications I should know about please feel free!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the review Josh. It looks like a really nice craft. I saw a guy out in one on a local lake this spring. A wind kicked up and I was going to offer him a tow since I was using the electric motor but he was moving as fast or faster than I was with the motor on 75%. This type of craft looks like the best option for a sit down lake platform.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Scotty glue on rod holder (Velcro it in place until you know for sure where you want it that is in reach and away from oar strokes)
    Move that side bag back to the next set of D rings and you won't rub it at all, but can still access it when needed.
    Outcast seat back pad with rear storage to hold a vertical rod tube, that landing net or anything else more precious than bud light.

Did you really say bud light?

4. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Yeah, I got my Voyager at Sportsman's also. The $389 price was attractive (the latest Cabela's catalog lists a "sale" price of $499!).

I've put a Scotty glue-on rod holder on it and also sheathed the foot-bar in a piece of foam pipe insulation so I can drape my feet over foam and not metal.

I've only had it out once but it seems to row pretty well and I found it quite comfortable. I too do not like those Mickey Mouse valves on the seat sections but outside of that I'm happy with my purchase!

5. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I love mine but had the sewing on the footbar fail. After a while the thread frayed. I suggest a coating of aquaseal over the threads for protection. Also watch your inflation pressure. Seams aren't the strongest in that bladder.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

6. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

When the stitching failed did you contact CC? Lifetime warranty on this. Just wondering what they'd do in that situation.

7. Dipnet

Good tip, Thomas. Thanks!

I'd rather do a bit of preventive stuff than deal with warranty issues.

8. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

No I didnt because I didnt want to deal with shipping the boat. I was able to use the existing holes from the stitching and sew it back up with 20lb maxima. I then coated all the thread and repair job with aquaseal. Its stronger than before now.

9. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
  10. Dipnet

Yeah, he did say Bud Light, Ed! ;)

I've not experienced any interference in rowing but I've only used the boat on stillwater.

Due to my arthritis/rotator cuff issues, I'm not gonna move the bag any further back than it is 'cuz then it's difficult to access, at least for me.

I have the standard bag on the left side but I do want to get another side bag to mount on the other side of the boat. I'd prefer to have the easier side access rather than behind me due to my physical restrictions.

I've sent an e-mail to Buck's Bags in order to figure out what the dimensions are of their standard boat bag (that sizing info isn't on the site) but still haven't received a response after 10 days.

About a week ago I e-mailed Creek Company to see if I could purchase an additional side bag identical to what came with the boat but I've yet to receive a response.

Have others had this problem with lack of e-mail response with these retailers?

I guess I'll have to get on the phone and talk to a real person in order to find out product/order information. So much for the interweb, eh??? :confused:

I'm liking this boat so far but am still setting it up.

11. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

My brother in law had good customer service through creek company. Have you checked the CC web site? Most accessories they sell online.

12. Dipnet

Just an FYI: I spoke with a rep from CC on the phone this morning and they do not sell the side pocket bags as a stand alone item.

13. Dipnet

Well...."duh!" on my part!

I'd read that review before buying my Voyager and read it again on this forum after my purchase.

I just today realized that the author was "Dan"!

Does that name sound familiar??? :confused:

My mama raised no dummies (but maybe at least one "slow" one!) ;)

Dan Nelson likes this.