Critter ID requested

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by c1eddy, Oct 14, 2009.

1. c1eddy Member

Ratings: +9 / 0
    Fresh out of the Wenatchee system. This guy measures about 1.75" - 2" in length and dives somewhat gracefully when placed in the water. I found him today with his head under water and body above. He looks like he has some nice chompers (another reason for westsiders to stay home).
    I'm guessing he is some kind of water beetle...but any positive ID would be appreciated.
  2. Trout Master Active Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I think it is a back swimmer and I have heard they do bite.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Yeah, that SCARY 2" long bug is gonna keep the Eastside safe from the interloping Westsiders. Cool looking bug.
  4. Split Bamboo Member

Some 509er told me the back swimmers favorite food is gonads. But fishing in those snow drifts and icy water over there you probably don't need to worry much
  5. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,173 / 0
    Here's another one I found on the Methow this summer. I never figured out what it was, besides huge and kind of creepy.
  6. elroostere Member

Who's gonna tie up a pattern?
  7. LeoCreek Member

I've heard they manage to get inside of breathable waders, and then force their way up your urethra....or was it, they crawl in your ear, eat their way into the brain and lay eggs.

Something like that....
  8. TB Member

Ratings: +19 / 0
    Them bugs are spooky, they don't like to be looked at too long. I was looking at one this summer through a magnifying glass and it started to evaporate.:eek:
  9. Taxon Moderator

Ratings: +111 / 0
    c1eddy-

It's order Heteroptera (True Bug), family Belostomatidae (Giant Water Bug), probably genus Lethocerus. Here is another photo of one:

[IMG]
  10. Silverexpress New Member

looks crunchy. Might be a good snack after a long day on the water.
  11. jimmyjoe Member

I saw those on Starship Troopers! Those are probably the first of the invasion force, small enough to be un-noticed until they have a whole armada here. Call the men in black, you may be saving the world!
  12. c1eddy Member

Ratings: +9 / 0
    Thanks, Taxon. That's definitely the critter. Further research reveals he is often called "The Toe-biter"....and the following info:
    "The powerful forelegs are tipped with a curved hook shaped claw and are used to grasp and hold prey. Lethocerus then injects a poison through a needle-like beak and sucks the tissue fluid of their prey. Lethocerus can be vicious biters, inflicting pain.....".
    I'm pretty sure these little terrors are not found on the wetside. If you're still planning on coming over...keep one eye on your feet.
  13. Tyler Sadowski Member

Ratings: +21 / 0
    They bite, fly and also spray some kind of bitter mist out their ass. I know cuase I had one in my fish tank years ago. To say the least I woke up one night with it crawling up my pillow. So back to the lake he went. They are nasty critters.
  14. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Ratings: +130 / 0
    Is Freestone's bug a cicada?
  15. Luke Ramirez Still DoubleUgly

Looks like it, but the ones I've seen are closer to black in color. However, those were in Utah. Could be a variation??
  16. J.A. Smith New Member

Freestone's is a cicada. I didn't know they were that far west. We got loads of them. I jumped out of my chair during a late night tying session when one got through the door and started buzzing around--slow, loud, metallic, like an mini-robot bug...He got the swatter. It's also disconcerting when you open the door early in the summer and 3-4 of them are attached to your screen door. They're not small.
  17. Stephen Rice Senior Member

I saw one that big over on the wet side a few years ago. It was on the coweeman. nasty looking things.
  18. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,173 / 0
    Thanks guys - I had no idea there were any in Washington. It looks like it was a husk from one that molted.
  19. Zack Dudley Take em'

i was watching a show on the TV and i saw this little bugger and it catches fish with the front claws and tears them to shreds
  20. Gary Thompson dirty dog

Ratings: +131 / 0
    "It's not safe to go in the water"