Crystal (olive) Willy

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Jan 23, 2013.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Tried a couple of different crystal chenilles on my latest batch of OWs. Haven't fished 'em yet so no feedback on performance in comparison to the standard chenille body. In my experience, OW's fish best April-June once the lake temps are up. It hasn't done much for me early/late in the season.
    IMG_2988.JPG

2. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Ooooohhhhh shiney, see the pretty colors

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Nice ties. I was tying up some pumpkinheads this week and wanted to do some OW's as well, but I lacked a few materials. I need to get to the shop and pick up some chenille and some pheasant rump. I don't fish these a ton, but I like to have some on hand. This is the type of fly that has saved a few tough days for me.

4. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I like 'em. OWs are my go to fly on lowland lakes in early season. It would be fun to try some variants.
    D

5. troutpocket

Media:
    Same here. It's rarely a bug I start with but sometimes it gets a lot of attention.

6. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    I tied up some with peacock body and copper rib, also chartruese crystal braid. I had good success with them last year.
    This fly and the six pack are standards for me on the E. WA lakes.
    jesse

7. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I woke up this morning thinking "what is going to work early this year on the east side" last spring I started in late April and finished in late June with some 35 day's on the lakes in eastern oregon.

I remember the first trip I fished for a couple weeks and the flies I encountered on the water were mostly chironomids - large bodied tan and brown.

But the first day there I trolled a brown shinny woolly to locate fish and learn the lakes depths - I creamed the fish in the flats with the pattern and wondered why it worked so well? the second week fishing I saw the first sign of a large fly (dragon flies the size of small planes)
    the thing is all the dragons were "BROWN FEMALES" I saw no blue or bright colored dragons in the air for at least a few days and when the blues "males" finally started flying the browns still out numbered them 3 to 1 and I figured that is why the brown pattern worked so well!

Now when reading on damsels most of the nymphs are a light green but seeing large dragon nymphs picked off the bottom of logs and weeds most were brown so I don't know if this green nymph thing is for the large dragon fly nymphs or not? but watching shows of bait fisherman on crane prairie almost all of them were brown they showed! some were a lot lighter when picked out of weed beds but once out of the weeds for a few minutes they turned darker brown in the containers.

This is the pattern that worked for me so well early in the year on eastern lakes while trolling. now many of you know I like to speed troll fast and get many - what I would call reaction strikes, but the brown dragons hatching first will forever be logged in my pea sized brain.

I believe most nymphs change to the color of the surroundings they are in. so can see "green" being a very good color for weed bed nymphs. I also think the nymphs are much lighter in color when living deep and can change while they migrate to shallow waters or final hatching to adult.

I like your patterns for two reasons - the lighter pheasant rump and tail and darker body match both of my thoughts on early hatching dragons. but I could be wrong of coarse!
    boise la grande trip 065.jpg boise la grande trip 067.jpg boise la grande trip 064.jpg boise la grande trip 068.jpg

I also believe that on the finale stag of the nymphs migration to hatch to adult they hold a lot of air in the nymphs shuck making there color much lighter(and much shinier) like in most emerging nymphs - but again I could be wrong! but I will be tying these in big numbers for early spring fishing over east.

8. kvannice

kvannice Member

Nice ties they make me dream of some lakes on the east side that will be open soon

9. Strike Zone

Strike Zone Member

Mark:
    Great job on your dragon nymphs! I have been at this fly fishing still waters thing since back in the early seventies and tying flies since about 1960. The dragon fly nymph has been my all time best producer bar none on lakes everywhere from BC. to southeastern Oregon. I hope you have many happy hours out on stillwaters wherever you are.
    Tight Lines
    Denny (Strike Zone)
    Denny

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  10. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I've had some superb luck with OW's in the fall here in NE Washington. One of the stars of my small arsenal.

11. troutpocket

Media:
    The best day I've ever had fishing OWs was a June trip to a high lake in SW Montana. Big clumps of veg dispersed over a sandy bottom and big wood fallen into the lake along the shoreline. Mid morning before the callibaetis happened the OW was picking up nice rainbows that were prowling around the veg and wood. Mostly sight fishing. I tried some other stuff but the OW was king that morning.

12. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Great looking ties, this pattern reminds me quite a bit of the old Carey Special that I used to fish almost exclusively for a couple seasons. I have never really found much success with this fly, but then again it doesn't hang that well under an indicator.

13. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    Come on Ira, I know you can find a way to hang an OW horizontally under an indicator.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

14. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

I'm already considering tying one as a balance pattern.

15. troutpocket

Media:
    Beat you to it Ira!

I've fished it (minus the red glass bead) as a jig with sporadic success. Same experience as the original . . .some days it's hot, other days completely ignored.

Irafly likes this.
  16. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

It seems to work best for me on days when there's quite a bit of a wind chop on the lake's surface, thin clouds above. I think, being a relatively big dark fly, it stands out well in contrast (and, of course, the pheasant moves well with slow jerky retrieves).

17. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Ahh, you need the red bead. I know with the jig hooks that is difficult to do but I'm thinking about using the jig hook with a straight pin and weight at the front vs a tungsten bead. Hmmmm. Ok I'll give it a try this weekend.

18. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    DSC_0643.JPG There was two versions of the olive willy, one with a bead and one with a tuft of rabbit fur. One was for sunny days and the other for overcast and I don't remember which was which. You might try the tuft of rabbit fur and have two different troutpocket balanced flies.

troutpocket and Mark Kraniger like this.
  19. troutpocket

Media:
    The first olive willys I ever bought and fished were tied with the red fur tuft. I got them at the Avid Angler before they moved to Lake Forest Park when they were located off 15th Ave NE in north Seattle (circa 1997).

20. nailbender

nailbender Active Member

Media:
    Those flies from avid were probably tied William. He told me the originals he tied had a tuft of dyed red pheasant. Later ties had the rabbit, then came the bead. If I remember correctly ones tied with beads he tied a size smaller( probably 10 or long shank 12).William told me the secret to the pattern was to pick a feather that looked like it was camo for the hackle. I remember him fishing at lone lake using a clear intermediate line and an 18 ft. leader. He probably used other techniques as well, but he was catching fish on every cast that day.

Jeff Dodd and troutpocket like this.