Curtis Creekin'

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Brian Miller, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    I hiked into the mouth of one of my Curtis Creeks yesterday. I elected not to wade up the river it drains into because it is flowing high and strong, the last quarter mile is an outside bend with water right on the steep 30’ high river bank that is too high and steep to egress. Once you commit to the river it’s all the way or turn around and start over so I packed in my waders and used my Korkers with the non-studded Kling-On soles for hiking. The hike started with some grueling bushwhacking over blow downs until I was able to find some game trails that eventually led to the creek; taking about an hour. Then I got rigged and suited up and put the studded Kling-On soles on my boots for wading. The fish are 8" - 10" wild cookie cutters but there are lots of them and they’ve probably never seen an angler. I guess the best of it was discovering and solving the problems presented by new water, and now I can say I did it. I fished from noon to 5:00 PM getting about ½ mile up from the mouth and started hiking back to the car at around 6:00 PM.

On the way out I couldn’t locate the game trails I used on the way in and there was a little anxiety in the fading light so I began by sticking close to the river to stay out of the deepening gloom of the forest. I had to scramble up a steep 15’ bank of an unnamed creek using tree roots to avoid being funneled down to the river. Once up on the bank I had to ascend another 30’ or so to the bluff where I found the game trails I came in on. I soon spotted some Timber Cruiser tapes that led to an old ATV trail somewhat recently cleared of deadfall that angled slightly away from the river and down to the main road about 1/8 of a mile up from where I parked, arriving at the car just before dark. All in all a somewhat strenuous but good day.
    [​IMG]

Pool just upstream of the mouth
    [​IMG]

The head of the pool
    [​IMG]

Typical fish from the first hole
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

can't figure out how to embed this
    http://www.facebook.com/v/3641337588208

Patrick Gould and atomic dog like this.
  2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Washington is chock full of these little secret fisheries. Nice report Brian. I get myself semi lost all the time. I usually know that the road/trail is "up there somewhere" but getting to it through a few hundred yards of brush or up a 30' bank is the problem. Twice I've decided my car was stolen after losing track of distance and coming out a few miles away.

3. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Nice! I like those hidden little places. Thanks for posting a picture of some wildflowers, too. It gives the trip report a bit more of an "I've been there" feel.
    D

4. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

Nice looking water!