Custom Matte Rod vs. Glossy Production Rod?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by bengal31, Feb 11, 2007.

1. bengal31

bengal31 New Member

I'm new to rod building as I just finished my first rod today which is a Dan Craft blank. I'm really happy with how it turned out but where my question lies is am I suppose to apply finish to the entire rod or just the thread wraps? I applied only to the thread wraps but in comparing it to my sage XP I noticed how glossy black the XP was compared to the Five Rivers Blank. Any help here would be great?
    Thanks,
    Tim

2. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Just the wraps. Blanks are all different colors and finishes that the manufacturer decides on. Coating them all the way would slow it down, on top of creating a whole lot of excess weight. Plus a whole lot of other things

You did it right, just the wraps...

Welcome to a disease maybe you never knew was out there. You will never look at a factory rod the same...

Greg

3. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    The finish of a blank is a cosmetic consideration that is solely yours to make. You did the right thing by only applying the finish to the wraps. In general Dan has a matte finish rather than a gloss one for reasons that are all his own :)

4. bengal31

bengal31 New Member

Thanks alot guys! Common Sense told me that covering the whole thing didnt make sense but sometimes its easy to second guess yourself. I really enjoyed the process and learned alot. The one problem is I'm ready to do another one:). I'm thinking of making my brother a rod...hmm....which one..