Custom Rod Repair Problem

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by sashjo, Aug 28, 2014.

1. sashjo

sashjo Member

I sent my custom Sage RPL in to the rod builder for warranty repair of the broken tip in January. I figured that I would have the rod back by the time I returned from Belize trip at the end of February as I was promised the same warranty as Sage.

No rod upon my return home but the check was cashed in January. I contact the builder, who states he will get the rod right out. Time goes by, still no rod. In May, I asked about repair status as I wanted to have the rod for a yakima river float in June. I was advised by the builder that it would be out in two weeks. That float came and went but still no rod! I am not happy at this point.
    Builder does not respond to emails any longer. I have contacted Sage, who have made inquiries to the builder but it does not sound like the builder has responded to them either. Just returned from Oregon trip, put 1100 plus miles on the truck. Still no rod after 6 months!

Rod builders like this reflect badly on the blank builder company and other custom rod builders.

2. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    Sorry to hear about the pain in the rear. I guess lesson learned, never pay up front.

3. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    Man I hate to hear this!!

If he is a licensed builder just about the only thing you can do is go to the better business bureau and rub his name in the dirt. No reason a repair should take that long. If for some reason he is backed up 8 months he should have told you that before hand

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    "Rod builders like this reflect badly on the blank builder company and other custom rod builders."

I disagree. Rod builders like this reflect badly only upon themselves. No reason to smear the company that manufactures the rod blanks or other rod builders who are not guilty of fleecing you.

Sg

Alexander, sbr, Kaiserman and 3 others like this.
  5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Don't know who built you the rod but contact R B Meiser custom rods or Gary Anderson (ACR) to see if they can help. Both of their builds are extraordinary. Only question will be is the rod section available and how long to get their hands on same.

6. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    That is why alot of manufacturers are dropping blanks. This is 100% the rod builder that is ripping you off and not sage

Gary Knowels likes this.
  7. sashjo

sashjo Member

To clarify, I asked Sage for help. They should not allow a rod builder, who promised the exact warranty as Sage, to build with their blanks if the warranty is not delivered exactly as Sage would provide the service. I have no doubt that heads would roll at Sage if I waited 6 months for a repair.

Also,I believe that I will be hesitant to buy any custom rod in the future. Who knows who will be in charge of Meiser or Burkheimer in 20 yrs from now.

Just venting, getting up early to fish. The Sage Deathstar and mini Deathstar are in the truck.

8. FT

FT Active Member

sachjo,

The rod builder in question may not even be buying blanks directly from Sage. He may be buying Sage blanks from one of the large rod building supply businesses, who are also distributors for Sage and other blank manufactures. Therefore, I ask: How in the world is Sage supposed to police this builder or force him to do what you'd like if more than likely he doesn't buy blanks directly from Sage? And you have no way of knowing what rod building supply distributor he bought the blank from.

In other words, it isn't Sage's fault, nor can Sage do anything about it. The only one in the wrong here is that particular rod builder.

9. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Yeah this thread is pretty much pointless/worthless and wrong. Like it has been stated, that's none of Sage's business and it's just THAT rod builder you are dealing with. Don't broad stroke, not cool.

10. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    There are a lot of custom rod builders that buy their blanks from local retailers or on line. The shop I worked at sold a lot of blanks.
    I have built a few rods myself and have one custom stick. The problem with custom rods is that the manufacturer is only going to replace the broken section with another "blank" section. Then that section needs to be wrapped and finished, hopefully matching the rest of the rod.
    When you buy factory rods you can get a replacement section usually quicker and it almost always matches perfectly.
    I will probably continue to build a few rods because I enjoy it but it does have its drawbacks.
    Sorry for your problem.
    Your builder has a credibility issue.
    jesse

11. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I once ordered a sturgeon rod blank for my brother and took it to the local sturgeon rod builders store and left it there for a custom wrap. They had already done one for me and a few of my friends over the years and were thought to be trust-worthy!

They moved in the middle of the night about a week later, cleaned everyone out! all rods being built and rods that were paid for and blanks that were ordered! I knew enough sturgeon fisherman in the area to call and found a lot of people got burned. They did not move the shop the packed up over night and ended the shop never to be found again!

LESSON LEARNED!

My next custom build came from Orvis! I called and had them check the factory for a 1981 9' 6" 6 wt. 3 pc superfine called the Osprey and they had a blank so I had them tie it up on hydro's components! One of the eye's was slightly off line so I sent it back and they fixed it and sent it back free of charge in three weeks.
    fly rods 002.jpg

If I have a small company or builder do a build I figure I have no warranty! They can promise all they want but the reality is that small companies fold all the time!

Good luck, and I hope you at least get the broken rod back!

fredaevans likes this.
  12. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

Sorry to hear about your experience.
    With what has happened, it might be good to post warning here as to who this builder is so that others won't fall into the same predicament.

chewydog likes this.
  13. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    Sorry to hear about this, but I think Sage went above and beyond what I would expect simply by getting involved and trying to help you out. They did not need to do that. Another example of their great customer service. Your problem is with the builder. There was a similar story a few years ago with a custom builder and filing in small claims court cleared up some of the delays. I do not know if those people ever got their rods, but they may have gotten some money back. The guy may not be able to get the section he needs and should never have promised to duplicate Sage's warranty. I love using z-axis blanks when I build and can no longer get them. Even called the factory and they said they were no longer available. I am sure Sage keeps sections around for their warranty work, but they are not available for the average Joe or Judy (and probably not for your builder).

14. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

When you purchase a rod from a 'well known' manufacturer part of what's figured into the price is warranty work. You'll still pay a fairly hefty price for mailing back and forth and the rod repair. But at least you know you'll get it fixed.

With a 'custom build' you are on your own from day one.