Custom VS. Factory

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by CC898, Nov 12, 2010.

1. CC898

CC898 Member

Hey guys,

This is for all builders commercial and hobby.

What was you motivation for getting into custom rod building? Have you found that the rods are "better" when you do them. I have talked to several people lately that say they will not own a "custom" rod and the the "need" to have a factory rod.

I personally got into it because I did not like the overall quality of some factory rods finish, thought I could do better......and it toook me several years to be able to do that. Now I feel I can put together a nicer package all the way around.....still a tough sell though. I always thought that being able to have a brand XXXXXX rod finished with the components of my/our choosing was a no brainer. I have been proven wrong.

2. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    The people who who say they will only use a factory rod are the people who have never owned a custom rod. A custom rod that is built correctly will out perform a factory rod hands down. Besides just the performance of the rod, you have a different fit or niche for each person. I could go on and on but I'm going to stop now...

3. troutramp

troutramp Member

I have a custom Gatti frhpII thats sick. Lots of factory rods are nice but customization has its uses

4. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    I wrap all my rods (have a couple factory though). Mine are lighter as I only use single foot recoils, which you could argue makes them perform better or more enjoyable to use. I have one of a kind handles with custom decorative cork, hand picked burl wood or cork for custom reel seats, custom thread colors or designs, and in the end, they just look, feel, and perform better to me. And the bottom line is I just enjoy doing them. I have sold perfectly good rods that I loved, just to be able to do something else, as I can't justify having 20 rods. I have 5 rods currently, but have several projects waiting to be built.
    Regarding which is better, that is purely personal opinion. I like mine better than anything on any shelf I have ever seen. Now other people can build better rods than me (just look at some of Tyler's work), but I enjoy what i do. All my blanks are warrantied so that isn't an issue, I just re-wrap them if necessary, although I have never broken one or had to.
    I also find hidden gems once in a while. To date, I have build sage, winston, T&T, plus many lesser known name brands....and my all time favorite in looks and performance is a Anglers Workshop Chalkstream 7'7" 3/4wt that I got for $10 at a garage sale, and built with holographic guides, dyed blue burl reel seat, custom cork, etc.... Beautiful rod that has more feel and personality than any big name rod I have ever handled. Plus I personalized it for my dad and gave it to him for his birthday. Can't find something like that on a shelf in any store.
    So factory rods are great, nothing wrong with them...but I would choose to build my own any day of the week.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    If you have seen Tyler's artwork that he calls rod building, which I've been able to enjoy through his gallery photos and fished one of Mike Ediger's fine custom builds you'll realize that they can be much more impressive than the off the rack rods that factories turn out. I don't have enough skill to tell if they perform better, can't really sense if they are a few micrograms lighter. From fishing my Mike Ediger "Go Ducks" Sage Z Axis 486-4 with marbled cork I can tell you it is nothing short of amazing. And I have a handful of other Z Axis factory rods that I love to compare it to. It is a fishing tool and thing of beauty.

Tools are tools and whatever the user wishes them to do and look like is what will drive which you choose for your toolbox.

6. Mike Ediger

Media:
    You realize the value of that rod is going up exponentially proportional to the BCS rankings! You should put it on craigslist in Eugene right now for twice the value.:thumb::thumb::clown:

7. Ed Call

Media:
    Mike, if for one moment I have every had a disappointed casting day with this rod I would seized the moment and ride the BSC strength of those Ducks...this rod is not going anywhere...unless you have another blank to roll another?

8. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    If I ever saw a custom "Go Ducks" rod in the wild, I would have to take a leak on it for sure......

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Now Tyler. Admittedly, the Oregon Ducks decal that Mike built into this rod is my least favorite feature. You have to appreciate the overall balance of the rod and its fantastic look and feel. I've given my money to far too many colleges and universities in my younger drift with the current flow...none of which were Pac 10 schools...but this rod is great. Besides, like them or not, Oregon is pounding the absolute shit out of any opponent across the line of scrimmage from them, you have to appreciate a high octane team that puts the wood to their opponents, right?

If you try to piss in my rod I'll have to Snap T your hose apparatus.

10. Mike Ediger

Media:
    I have no idea what this means, but as long as the Ducks keep winning, I don't care what Tyler does!

11. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    I was thinking to myself "this is one of the best threads we have had on the rod building section". Then someone had to bring the Ducks in to the dissicion and suck the life out the this topic. BTW I hate the ducks with a passion..... But I like Mike and Mumbles so im having a hard time with this.....

12. Ed Call

Media:
    Tyler, remind me of how you hate the ducks should we ever fish for trout...I'll cover the decal so you don't puke or go crazy. Now if it were an Irish logo I'd have to show it off and not care about the outcome.

13. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would never be seen on the water with someone who had a Oregon Duck rod.

14. CC898

CC898 Member

Going astray. Funny though. I always wonder how that happens.

Would you rather own a rod from someone who builds rods beacuse they REALLY want to, or beacuse they get a paycheck? Lots of mass produced rods are built by people who are good at their job, but are paycheck players......many don't even fish. I build rods because I want to! That and the construction industry is crap right now, but my wife has a really good job, so I get to do what I love.

Just wish I could persuade more people to believe a custom is just a "good" as a factory built rod.

15. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Member

The only advantages I see of a factory rod over a custom are; you can get a factory right off the shelf (instant gratification), If the rod breaks they send you a new completed rod (you don't have to wait for your rod builder to rewrap/rebuild the rod). If a potential customer can not see that you get better workmanship, fit and performance from a well built custom rod, they really are not a customer, they are just tire kickers.

16. Finfollower

Finfollower New Member

First off I'm not anywhere near Tyler, or anyone else's skill level, that being said there's really just something that really makes you feel good about making your own gear. Perhaps it's the feeling of craftsmanship, pride, or ego. Maybe it's feeling like you have added yet another level of control to the outcome when hunting your favorite species. Personally I think it is an outlet, and an addiction to the passion of the craft. When I look at the work that members here have made whether it's a rod, or a fly it translates to me as a person who gives a damn, and wanted to directly effect their involvement.

I have spoken to people here for advice and information in both aspects and have always been thankful for the advice thay have passed to me. The many that are more skilled than me allow me to raise the bar, and those few less skilled I'm happy to help. Kind of makes the world a better place, if you like that type of thing.

Final parting thoughts...I don't care about college teams, Go Steelers!

17. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    its a long cold boring winter here... and rod building helps pass the time