Custom Waders

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Larry6943, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Larry6943

Larry6943 New Member

I'm new to the form, but have been fly fishing all over the USA-
    My most pressing problem is finding waders that I can wear. I have size 15 boots.
    I guess "Big Foot" and I are the only ones with this problem.
    I did find a pair but the waist size was 55".
    Does anyone know of a mfgr. that will make or sell any that won't require me to hock my grandkids to pay for them?:beathead:

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Simms does custom boot foot waders. You can take any wader they make, and have them attach their muckboots. My buddy ordered his through Pacific Fly Fishers, a sponsor of this site. Maybe give them a call to see if they can get something for you.

3. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Evan's correct, Simms is the only one I know of that will make a custom breathable wader. There is one other company that does custom Neo's, KME or some such.

fae

4. MikeStark

MikeStark Member

I am 6'8" and also wear a size 15. Orvis silver label stockingfoots and Simms Freestones in a size 15 have been MONEY for me over the years. Good luck, my large brother...

5. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

Media:
    Dan Baily's has a section for big fellas, any dry suit company can put custom boots on a set of waders I would reccomend checking out HI Tide drysuits I think there in port orchard and they do great work

6. Dead Drift

Dead Drift New Member

Media:
    I feel your pain... I wear size 16 wide and i have a pair of the classic A/P breathable waders from Hodgeman and they work just fine. i have to wear some thinner socks but i dont mind that too much, even in the cold weather.

-Connor

7. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

8. abobrien

abobrien Alex O'Brien

Media:
    i am 6'7'' tall and a 15 boot I found that some simms g3 that fit me well you could also go and try on waders at fly shops if they have any sizes that are closest and see what is the most comfortable

9. shastaski

shastaski Steve Sullivan

As others have stated Simms does custom waders, not sure if it is on all models or just some. Think it is a extra $50 but could be $100. Also try Standard Safety Equipment in McHenry Illinois, they make custom waders at $265. Just got them from quickly googling.
    Know Bare does custom waders too. Have no idea if they are good or they suck tho.

10. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I've kinda been afraid to ask this ?
    I have a short round girl friend and finding waders for her seems to be a problem.
    Thanks for the info on Simms

11. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    I have been trying to order some new bootfoots from Simms all summer so that I can take them to BC in late Sept. They apparently have shut down the bootfoot program because of an issue with the manufacturing process. It's a big bummer. If anyone has any further info on this I would also be very curious.

12. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I heard Simms could not get a new contract with Muck Boots and therefore, were discontinuing their program. Once I heard this, I ordered new boot foot waders so I'm lucky but I feel for those who want them and cannot get them.

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    This post just crushed my hopes and dreams

14. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    I checked in with Simms again today. They said the same thing to me they said a month ago which is "it's not happening yet, check back with us soon." They believe they will make bootfoots again but aren't sure the timeline. If they don't start making bootfoots again I will buy some dodgy ones from LL Bean or Orvis for the Skeena in seven weeks but my Simms mojo may be gone forever.

15. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    Spoke to a very helpful person at Simms today. When their contract with Muck expired this year they instead bought a whole bunch of boots from a company called "Bog" only to find out that they diameter didn't fit well with their wader diameters. So, new bootfoot construction is on hold, probably until the spring. The only "exception" is that they do have some assorted odd sizes around in teh Muck felts and Muck lug soles, so if you happen to have the right sized foot, you might get lucky. My size 10s were not lucky, so I will be looking elsewhere for waders. If you are thinking about these bootfoots, have your fly shop call and see what they have in your size.

When I look at "real" bootfoot waders left being made, all I can find are Orvis (not in their premium wader), LL Bean (prob one notch up), and Snowbee (anyone ever heard of this before?) from the UK.

If anyone has experience with the LL Bean or Snowbee bootfoots, I am all ears.

Thanks.