Cutthroat Poachers!!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Saltman, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

There have been a number of reports of Cutthroat Poachers at Lion's Field lately. Keep an eye out for guys throwing worms carrying stringers of 8" Cutts. REPORT THEM! Remember to get descriptions, license #'s and call the poacher hotline 1-877-933-9847. The State can't do it alone....

2. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Maybe you could help us out here a little bit......where is Lions Field? Cedar River...?

Jc

3. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Lions field is a park in East Bremerton.

Dave

4. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Tanks...never been there.

5. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Hang'em high

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Some of those signs that Don had should be posted. I'll see if I can get some from Peninsula Outfitters if I'm up that way. Jerks!

7. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I just talked about this with my contact at WDFW. Call the Hotline number as soon as you see the violation, and the dispatcher will send the message to all officers currently on duty. Getting the license plate number is golden. Be discreet as possible, I was seen photographing bait fishermen at Munn Lake recently, and the guys took off immediately. Of course they came back at he same time the next day, and were busted, but they usually are bright enough to realize they've been identified. License plate numbers with vehicle description, number, age and gender of poachers seems to the most important details they ask for.

I have plenty of conservation signs available, and will mail them to you. Even if the sign doesn't prevent determined poachers, posting one on site prevents claiming ignorance of the regs.

Keep up the good work.

8. d. rose

d. rose Live to fish, fish to live.

Don,

Awesome job. Thank you for your diligence, these guys are scum.

9. TD

TD Active Member

Nice thing about the signs is that EVERYONE sees them. That gives the potential for anyone on the beach to question their activity. Not everyone knows the difference between a SRC and a Coho or other fish.

10. Jeff Hale

Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Get Mumbles down there! He'll go RAMBO on their asses, take their fish off the stringer and throw them back inthe water, and then smack em' so hard it knocks the taste right out of their mouth! Get em' ED!

11. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

cant someone just ya know... take em to the alley?:D

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Damn Jeff, you've got a great memory. Don't think I've not passed through that area for a "walk" a couple of times since Saltman's post. Remember, that was not my finest moment and the fish was on the lure, not on the stringer.

13. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

Ok, don't leave us hanging. . Now you must tell us the story.

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Blktailhunter, not one of my more rational or shining moments. If you really want to know read this: I lost my cool today
    I could have handled things a lot differently. My friend could have too. I guess it is better to be lucky, and I was.
    I've still got that blue fox pixie around somewhere.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Shit, I haven't fished in or around Bremerton since I was about 14. I'm 75 now.

16. Jerry White

Jerry White Member

Aw come on Mumbles... I loved that story! Those of us who fight for native trout appreciate someone who is willing to really throw down for native trout!

Also the signs are a great idea... we have signs on the Spokane River and WDFW tell us that (for those poachers that don't want to actually heed the advice on the sign) the signs really help in providing for the successful prosecution of poachers... a poacher cannot play the ignorance card in front of a judge nearly as easily when a warden can report a sign was just up the bank. It makes a difference... I hope you get'em.

17. Scott Orness

Scott Orness Small fish in a big pond

5 state enforcement dudes on a 24 foot kick a$$ inflatable with 3 brand new 250HP on the back gave me a ticket for not writing down my 3 crab right away last week. I thought we were in a recession? It must cost the state serious $ to have all 5 of them on one REALLY nice boat sucking up a BIG # of gallons of gas per hour. I learned my lesson with the ticket, but it sure would be nice to see those guys spread out and protecting the public's resources better. All it would take is one of these guys at Lions.

18. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

That sounds like a crock of poop! I mean, it sucks.

19. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

We cant be so adamant about following the rules if we don't do so ourselves. That fancy state boat wouldn't have bothered you, had you done what you were supposed too :X
    "right away" is very relative

20. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

It is amazing that when it comes to Shrimp, Salmon and Crab the WDFW has serious resourses (airplanes, boats, manpower, etc) to enforce. Trout, Sea Run or otherwise seem to be very low on the enforcement priority list.......