Cutts and baby Chum

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jami_wa, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jami_wa

jami_wa New Member

You didn't shut me up I just don't have it in me to be rude and abnoxious like some people, maybe you give lessons? Plus, I try not to be mean to people with handicaps like having sticks stuck far up dark orifices.

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Ahhh, the sweeter, softer side of jami.:p

What did I say that was particulary rude? :hmmm:

My question about the mixed messages of 'giving them a break' vs 'go for the cutties now' seems like an honest straight forward question to me :confused:

I'm sure somone can help clarify why there really isn't a mixed message - and I gave some possible explanations to show I'm open to that possibilty.

3. olyangler

olyangler Pura vida!

chadk --
    No mixed messages here. I wrote the column for The Olympian -- I'm the staff outdoor writer -- and it was posted here from the paper's website. This article has no formal connection to Washington Fly Fishing at all -- except that it was posted on the site after publication in print and online at The Olympian.
    So, I think you're a little confused.
    In addition, I never signed on to any program to give searuns a break in April. I fish searuns every month of the year here in South Sound.
    Do you really think this column is overhyped? I just wanted to share with my readers that RIGHT NOW is the only time of the year to find searuns rampaging on baby chum in saltwater. Pretty soon those baby chum will leave the sound and get big, and the searuns will be feeding on something else. I also wanted to give Bob Triggs credit for one heckavua fly.
    In any case, I'm usually content to land two or three cutts and then stop fishing -- even if the bite is hot. I fish all of the time, and I don't have anything to prove to the fish or anyone else. Truth be told, I consider catching three searuns pretty good fishing on any tide.
    I hope this helps sort everything out.

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:

I liked the article. It was informative and well written. I may have been a little harsh calling it "overhyped". It was statements like these that caught my attention:

"hot fishing"
    "fast action"
    "hefty, hard-fighting sea-run cutthroat"

After seeing report after report from guys struggling to figure out salt water cuttie fishing - I just thought it was a little hyped up. But I'm sure there are guys who stuble upon the right place at the right time and do very well, and the verteran salty fisherman clearly have a better chance at finding hot, fast action fishing for hefty cutties.

I think I overestimated Bob's input on the article. I would think that you'd need his approval to use his name and guide info in the article. The mixed message would be from his perspective if he actually approved of the article (timing + content) in some way. Since he brought up the 'break' on winter\early spring salt water cuttie fishing - it sure does confuse me as to why he'd promote an early spring fishery so publicly - 'super fly pattern' and all.

Here's the dicussion in cased you missed it:
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=30763

"Just as many area streams are closed to fishing until later in the spring, I am thinking that maybe the beaches should be closed during this time as well."

5. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Chad K

The "Give them a break" thread was started on 3/15. You posted a couple of comments there and I liked your thinking and your attitude. I believe others here did too. On 2/26 Leland began a thread, "South sound report" where he detailed targeting Searun cuthroat trout. Les responded to Leland's thread yesterday saying, "Just get out there before this fishery is over". Then we have the excellent piece of outdoor writing in the Olympian. The break is over.

I do not believe the thread about giving them a break was about giving them a break. I never did believe that, having pored over some of the other previous threads about that time. At any rate, the break is over.

Couple of weeks ago there was a huge school of silvers at meadowdale in the late afternoon. They were spread out for eighty feet or more along the shore. and from six to fifty feet out. They stayed in the same place for at least half an hour making one foot rings that spread out to three feet in that particular chop. Ithought they were after copepods, after reading Mr. Stephen's excellent informative, and non moralizing posts. My fly rod was not in the car, it was at home! Then I went to Doc's last Friday, I thought the conditions were excellent, but I never saw or heard of a fish. They hardly need my protection.

Jami your input here is very good. ChadK keep up the good fight.

Sincerely,

Steve

6. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Just to clarify - I'm not slamming anyone here. Not the writer, the article, Bob Triggs, or anyone else. Just asking some pointed questions and calling out Bob and those who support the winter\spring cutthroat moratorium idea to see how they feel about promoting this fishery at this time.

7. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

ChadK,

I believe you're mixing two threads here. One, begun by Les Johnson asked that we give consideration to giving post-spawn searun cutts a break in which Bob Triggs agreed.

The other was a posting of an article written by Chester in which he simply recommended a fly tied by Bob. Because Chester included Bob's fly in his article doesn't mean that Bob collaborated on the article.

Also, because Bob agrees with Les doesn't mean that Chester cannot write about Bob's fly.

We at Orvis and a couple other shops are selling Bob's pattern at this time but that doesn't we agree or disgree with Les. It simply means we have a fly that works and it's for sale.

"hot fishing" "fast action" "hefty, hard-fighting sea-run cutthroat" are hyperbole. Many writers are prone to it. It's often the difference between dull and exciting.

Hope this helps,
    Leland.

8. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Actually you have it backwards Leland. It was Bob's thread and it was Les and others who agree with him.

But that is really beside the point. Is this or is this not a time when the cutthroat need added protection? Or is this a time to promote flies, guides, news papers, shops, via wild and willing cutties?

If the answer to the first question is 'no', then I have absolutely no problem with an aswer of 'yes' for the second question.

9. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jeeeez, do we have to keep re-hashing this? You can fish for cutthroat year round, if you're a cutthroat catching machine, then you might consider laying off the fishery while they spawn, again, your choice, it's legal to fish all year, do it if you want.

For me personally I'm an angler first and an environmentalist 2nd. I don't choose to give them a break, but then again, I think I've fished for them 8 times or so this year and caught less then 15 fish. If I feel like I'm hurting the fishery I'll stop. I'll probably fish for them less and less as spring and summer offer more seasonal fish that I choose to enjoy. While the cutthroat fishery is a lot of fun, it's sort of a last resort thing for me since it is open year round.

In the end, it's a personal choice, so make your choice and lets stop trying to figgure out who is right and who is wrong.

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just so we understand each other, the mention of giving C Sea Run Cutts a break during spawning periods has been kicked back and forth here numerous times, long before I opened a recent topic on "Giving Them A Break".

That had nothing to do with Chester or his very kind Olympian article about my fly. I didnt know about the article until it had run, except a brief chat with Chester the night before it ran. Clearly the article was about the fly, not the fish.

Chadk: Next time you want to bash someone try checking out the facts first.

I still stand for an awareness of when your local Cutthroat trout are spawning and avoiding stressing them on the beaches during that period of time. Just as they are protected in the rivers during that period of time. And there is a big difference between someone taking a few trips a year here and there, and someone hammering away at them several times a week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.