Dabob Bay story by Ron Judd Seattle Times

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tacoma Red, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +298 / 0
    http://seattletimes.com/html/pacificnw/2019630870_pacificpdabob18.html?cmpid=2628

This is a very good story about the continuing and perhaps hopeful (not just now but in the future) conservation efforts in Dabob Bay. I think it's an effort that we all need to know and inform others about and in that way take part, preserve, and perpetuate, in the success of the conservation efforts taking place there...and how that might contribute to efforts elsewhere.
  2. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
  3. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +354 / 0
    Residents in Tarboo Creek watershed have personally given so much to restore stream habitat. Danny Yarr is the best example and to read that the Yarr Creek Coho are being scooped up in nets is upsetting. This is where the harvest management plan fails. It really is simple and Bahls proposals seem reasonable. Of course, I am not a biologist, but these rainshadow creeks dont get water untill fall and the salmon are easily targeted in the staging zone.
    Unrelated to this story but eq
    ually shocking to me is that WDFW is considering a kill fishery on the Quilcene for cutthroat.
  4. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    Most people in the Seattle area have no idea what goes on on the Hood Canal streams. There are nets on every one of them. There were nets near the mouth of Big Beef Creek, as an example, for probably 2 months straight this year. There is no run there left, I am sure. It's disgusting. I think the S'Klallam's fish more in the canal than the Skokomish Tribe as my personal opinion. Every little creek has a net nearby. I've watched coho after coho being netted many times along the beaches. It is very sad. Tarboo Creek is ONLY a pittance of what goes on at EVERY stream that enters the Canal. Natural runs are being or have been wiped out. Not necessarily by the tribes, but, their impact is obvious if you watch what is happening out there. I wish I knew the answer. All I can think of is that everyone should write letters to the tribes hoping it may help a "bit".