Dam across creek

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, Jul 20, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Kerry, the dam is indeed illegal. I'd contact these guys:

http://www.washingtonwatertrust.org/our-board-directors

Washington Water Trust is a neutral, nonregulatory, 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to improving and protecting stream flows and water quality throughout Washington state. We use voluntary, market-based transactions and cooperative partnerships to create balanced solutions. So fish, agriculture, business and wildlife—upon which we all depend--can thrive.

We lease and buy water from water rights holder, temporarily or permanently to leave instream, to improve and protect flows, especially during periods that are critical to the survival of imperiled salmon and steelhead. At the right time, at the right place, even just a small amount of water left instream can have an immensely positive impact.

2. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Curt

Good point.

When I posted, your thoughts had been in my mind as well; and my post was to a body of water I'm "familiar' with...the situation is indeed very "site specific".

In dry years, that "extra" water in certain circumstances, behind the rock dam, can be a life saver....similar to fish conserving agencies putting logs in the stream beds, to create pools for rearing juvenile fish; I have seen it actually decrease the water temperature, provide cover for fish, etc...provided there is also good riparian tree coverage as well.

BTW...The creative engineering structures, in my world, always had spill channels built in. ;-)

3. 10incher

10incher Active Member

In the Bay Area, Ca. they're becoming aware that bows of steelhead lineage are living in the upper drainages of many badly impounded streams. So lately it's easy to get authorities to act when an unauthorized barrier is reported.

I fished the Guadalupe creek (avatar) in San Jose. Much of the creek ran through private property. Stream access laws allow wading within the high water mark. It did seem to upset a lot of property owners as I waded through their back yards ;) Of course, this is in the Bay Area, Ca. So you never get a gun pointed at you. You just get screechy, blow hard yuppies that think their money should entitle them isolation from dirtbag fishermen. I admit to enjoying these confrontations. Educating these individuals on the laws. Invariably though they thought I was wrong and continued to screech and whine ineffectually until I finished fishing the pool and moved on. But to get back on topic...

It was obvious that these property owners also thought they owned the stream. I reported any unauthorized retaining walls, dams, docks, bridges and decks that looked like they could even remotely impede fish passage. And they all disappeared almost immediately.

San Jose has only recently started giving a crap about the fish. Here in the PNW, where it's a much bigger part of the general awareness and culture I think that reporting it to WDFW will get it done.

If things seem slow to happen contact this guy: Sergeant Kim Chandler (425) 775-1311 ext.122
    He's an agent of the WDFW that headed up a project about ten years ago focused on removal of homemade dams and structures from streams. It'll matter to him I'm sure. And THAT will get it done.

KerryS likes this.
  4. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

these new dam builders are future corps of engineers prospects. mike w

5. scottr

scottr Active Member

Media:
    Navigable rivers and creeks aren't private. If you can float it then it is public between the high water marks.

Regardless, if it has anadromous fish in it then local, state, federal, and tribal agencies will get involved when fish passage is being blocked.

I'd report it to the local sheriff, WDFW, and NMFS.

10incher likes this.
  6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    WDFW contacted me this morning to verify the location of the dam. They are on their way to dismantle it and educate the property owners.

7. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Great job, Kerry!

8. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Nicely done!

9. 10incher

10incher Active Member

If you could "like" posts twice, I would.

10. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Give these guys a call... no one will ever hear or suspect a thing. demoteam.JPG

Nathan B likes this.
  11. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

Looks a little late buuuut, plant pike + apply for grant to remove said pike= PROFIT!

12. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

May have to rethink my position on this...

Was just there yesterday, at the location I had in my mind and there were salmon staged in the deep pools and yes the dams were there as well (yearly occurrence). What is new this year (from those in the past)...is the salmon.

Seems the new fish ladder at the hatchery is "working"... which is great!!

The fish are not having to wait for the high water flows to return to make it up that far.

It was good to see spillways in the dams.

(the rains are early this year...thunder storms and rain...makes the wild mint smell terrific...I bet the fish are lovin' it too)