Dammit, Janet, I'm going fish'n

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GAT, Apr 27, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Active Member

Well, so far this year, I'm zip for three on stillwaters. 1 for trout, 2 for warmwater. If I don't catch anything today I'm tossing all my gear in the lake and taking up golf.

We use small pontoon boats, Super Cats, for the majority of our stillwater excursions. What a difference it makes when it comes to gathering all the crap required for stillwaters vs rivers.

When river fishing, I'd grab my gear bag and my rod and would be out the door.

Not so for stillwaters. The pontoon boat. The flippers. The onboard cooler. The fish/depth finder. The camera. ... lots of crap and some of it is heavy.

So, win, lose or draw, I'll make a report. I could end up asking what the best golf clubs I should buy.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I got rid of all my still water floating junk. Sold my floating craft, my flippers, life jacket, pump and anchor. Most places that are still water you can fish from shore. Besides all lakes in my area sit at about 8000'. They are iced over until July. I wouldn't go out in these reservoirs in a float tube anyhow, to damn big.

3. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Somehow, there ought to be a new cartoon in all of this.

Jeff Peacock likes this.
  4. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Gene, sorry to hear that you aren't at the relationship stage where the conversation is "Gene, go fishing or something, just get the hell out of here, will you?". Makes life easier. Of course, there was the honeymoon phase of "Oh, sure, sweetie, I think you need to get that new kick boat and fly rod for fishing that little lake you love some much. I think we can afford it."

Good luck, looking forward to the report.

5. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

It's just a jump to the left...;)

FinLuver, GAT and NutJobRob like this.
  6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I fished yesterday morning for about an hour. Urban river fishing while my team had breakfast. I like brown trout and hoe much they help out the unskilled with their streamer feeding aggressions.

Good luck Gene. Golf sucks!

7. Eric Denny

Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Well I hope it doesn't come to that but if it does let me know what lake I can swim pretty good and have a snorkel.:)

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Yeah, but I can't seem to catch any fish playing golf, so I gave that one up!

9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Gene, next to badminton I would rate golf as the least manly of all sports. Yet thousands of guys are out knocking a little ball around the pasture with a little stick-and taking it seriously! I envision golf as a game played by Victorian ladies in long dresses carrying a picnic basket containing sandwiches with the crust cut off and a bottle of wine. They sip and giggle and occasionally inch their ball to a better lie under the cover of those long dresses.

Besides, you'll need to get your hair styled at Mr Rickys, have your nails done, buy just the right wardrobe and show up in a the proper Suv or luxury car. Then there are the greens fees that make Discover Passes look like chump change and buying clubs is like buying a quiver full of Sage One rods. Don't get rid of that tackle just yet just because you are a little frustrated. You don't know what frustration is until you try to knock an acorn into a gopher hole that is 150 yards away.

Hook some fish my man-heal thyself!

Ive

10. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Good use of a Rocky Horror quote in the thread title.

11. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

The fault is all yours, sir. How many times do I have to tell you

SOFT HACKLE FLIES.

PARTRIDGE AND ORANGE.

PARTRIDGE AND PEACOCK.

It is the Holy grail of stillwater.....

Except for the OLIVE BUGGER. :D

dfl likes this.
  12. jjaims

jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

GAT.. I've been on this forum for about six months and read all your posts and you seem very experienced. The fact that you are having trouble makes me feel better about myself. I just started fishing Stillwater recently and am embarrassingly bad. I try to use all the wisdom on this site but to no avail........Thanks:)

13. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Like Roper I tied it into the movie and couldn't read your post without it being set to the music..

14. Olive bugger

Hey man, we all have to start somewhere. Some, like myself are still starting. Good luck and stick with it. It will pay off.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Playing golf is just about as bad as watching grass grow or paint dry. Neither one is interesting. And you can't eat Golf Balls.

16. jjaims

jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

Hey thanks man. The challenge of it all makes it more interesting...But catching fish is nice to do sometimes. Looking forward to catching some fish on chironomids .. Got the logistics of it down just haven't dialed in to the fish yet. :)

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  17. GAT

GAT Active Member

Oooooookaaaaaaaaay.... NOW we're talk'n!

Had a great day fishing... caughts lot's of trout... fun had by all.

End of report.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  18. Slate Run

Slate Run Active Member

Robin Williams on golf................just in case you reconsider.

19. GAT

GAT Active Member

Now you don't expect a long-winded guy like me to post such a short report, now did ya? :)

Destination: Planted fishery at Olalla Lake in Oregon.

As per usual, stopped for breakfast and it was a good one. Turns out, that wasn't the highlight of the day.

We were on the lake by 9:30 or so. I was keen to try one of my experimental patterns so I tied it on. Within minutes I had a trout. Then another. Then another. By this time, Rocky and John finally were on the lake.

John is using our ol' standard for lakes that I mentioned in the Fly Tying Forum: A variegated black and olive WB with a gold bead head.

He starts catching fish. I'm catching trout. John is catching trout. Rocky is starting to bitch because he hasn't had a bite.

This goes on for awhile and finally Rock accepts one of John's WBs and starts hooking up.

It started out cloudy and kind'a coolish but the cloud cover broke and it ended up a beautiful day.

During the course of the day, John and Rock used the variegated olive and black WB and I was successful with two different experimental patterns that just happen to also include the colors olive and black (see below).

A fly club had an outing on the lake but the three of us (my oldest fishing buddies and the ones I started flyfishing with when I was a newbie) and we were the only ones catching trout at a constant rate.

I gave two of the guys one pattern each of what was working and they also started catching trout.

Now for the photos:

You've read about these guys in many of my posts. When I first started fishing with them we were all much slimmer and didn't have any grey hair... times have changed.

John and Rock, screwing around with their flies.

2.jpg

P1010101.jpg

Once Rocky started catching trout, he was on a roll. I wanted some action shots and he happened to be the guy within range:

P1010123.jpg

P1010136.jpg

A blue heron lives at the lake and when an angler catches a fish, it swoops down and tries to steal the trout. This happened while Rock was landing a fish:

P1010144.jpg

P1010146.jpg

I was using a full fast sinking line with a 15 foot f-carbon leader and tippet. John and Rock were using clear intermediate sinking lines.

These are the patterns that were working the best. The one working like magic for me was a WB tied with a variegated olive and black body with an olive tail and olive hackle . Just for the heck of it, I tried an experimental soft hackle (I got the idea from a post in the Fly Tying Forum). The body is olive, the hackle is black and the bead head is black. It also worked when stripped fast.

IMG_0981.jpg

The three of us haven't fished together for a long time so it was a wonderful trip and just like the ol' days. We harassed each other, made jokes and in general, acted the fools... just like we always have. It was a blast.

Well all caught a ton-o-trout and the weather was great.

It was a good day. A very good day.

Guess I won't be taking up golf afterall.

FinLuver and McNasty like this.
  20. Olive bugger

You even made my day too, Gene. Nice report.