Dammit, Janet, I'm going fish'n

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GAT, Apr 27, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Well of course I don't always catch fish. If I did... that wouldn't be much of a challenge now would it ? :D

Olive B is correct. We all started somewhere and it takes time and experience ... so you'll get there.

I could tell some of the members of the fly club that had the outing at the lake were not very experienced at stillwaters. One of the guys I gave a pattern to was using a floating line... I don't think he had any sinking lines. We convinced him it might be a good idea to add split-shot. Which he did. That and the fact that the pattern I gave him had a bead head helped him get down to the feeding zone so he started catching trout.

2. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:

If that were the standard I would have been done a long time ago and I'd think about having to take up golf full time, it's even more cruel of a sport.

3. John Read

John Read New Member

I've been patiently watching the weather and water levels, and they seem to have reached an optimum alignment last Thursday (3200 cfs--65 predicted for Avery.
    Went up on the St. Joe with intentions of floating the lower river. It was so nice when we reached the put in, we decided to run up the river and take a look.
    Went up above Avery to one of our favorite runs and saw a few fish rising (11 am). I caught to nice fish on a Chernoble. Around 12 BWO started coming off and we were hitting rising fish for the next 4 hours. Had to change sizes and stages until we hit on an 18 emerger.
    Fish were not hitting hard and it was the first running water fishing of the season, so it took a little bit to get back into the strike timing.
    My partner was fishing a sculpin pattern on his switch rod until he got tired of watching me catch fish.
    The hatch ended about 4 and we headed down river and caught a few more.
    I ended up with about 20 for the day, largest approx 14".
    Best day on the St. Joe this year.

4. fisherjon

fisherjon Member

Hey it might be a pay off to start golfing especially if you have bass setup join a club get access to their ponds those ponds on those club golf courses have some nice bass in them

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Geez, guys, the golf comment was a joke! :D (for awhile, I was kind'a into golf but decided I liked flyfishing better)

The fishing trip was one of the best I've been on in a long time... and it wasn't due to the trout. Fishing again with Rocky and John brought back memories of my entire life as a fly angler. The three of us would go fishing somewhere for something the year around. If you could catch it with fly gear, we'd chase it.

Trout, steelhead, salmon, SRC, shad, bass, dorado, sea bass ... you name it. Many of my articles included photos of Rock and/or John. We started a weekly fly tying night and that went on for over 20 years. I dedicated my cartoon book to those who attended the fly tying sessions. The three of us were some of the founders of the local fly club. We lived, drank and existed together in the world of flyfishing.

They were instrumental in me becoming a flyfishing writer and cartoonist (I got a lot of cartoon ideas whiles fishing with those guys). Rocky was our bug guy and at one point could have gone into Entomology instead of Microbiology as he did. All I know about aquatic insects I learned from Rock.

I have hundreds of photos that include Rocky and John. The two of them were my "hero shot models". They know the shots I want... the set up... when to pick up the fish and how to hold it. They are as much a part of flyfishing to me as is my rod and reel. We all grew old while flyfishing.

Over time, we disbanded the fly tying night and age and other interests started reducing the fishing trips we made together. After many decades, the three of us may only fish together a few times a year... if that.

So it was a special day for me. One that may not be repeated for a very long time.

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    ...and then a jump to the right...:D

Gene, Thanks for the report, the flashbacks, and the patterns. Good Man...keep your man card now...

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

"It's the pelvic thrust"

081227993528_500W_500H.jpg

8. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

This is a family show! :D

9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I can't help it.... it's part of the song... :D

What a weird-ass movie... and probably the reason I like it. I listen to the songs on Pandora at work. The techs can't relate.

"Put your hands on your hips and your knees in tight" "Let's do the time warp again."

10. jjaims

jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

Sweet report GAT. You mentioned you wrote articles. Are these posts or actual articles accessible by the internet maybe?

11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The articles were published in hard cover magazines before The Internet became popular so I doubt if you can find any online.

12. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Gene...now there's a man of "few" words. ;)

13. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

well I am happy for you and the water did seem a little cold to go snorkeling anyways.;) Glad you had a good day@!!!!

14. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Great story! I especially like the pics of the hungry heron. I've seen lots of other birds try to steal hooked fish, from gulls to loons. Never a heron tho . . .

15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

One of these days the heron will go missing... spey pattern fly tiers will be held suspect. :)

He/she perches on a structure close to the dam. Once the critter notices an angler has hooked a fish, it decides to help land the trout. I've yet to see it actually grab a fish from an angler but it sure comes close. I don't think Rock had any idea how close the bird was flying over him.

081227993528_500W_500H.jpg

Dave Evans likes this.
  16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    That's a good looking fly in your Avatar. Does it catch fish???

17. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

It better... he gave me one.

18. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Thanks
    Yet to try it out...someday soon!!

19. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Geesh...I bet you'll want "your" money back too??
    ;)

20. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Yes.

FinLuver likes this.