Damn things they dont tell ya......

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Chef, Jan 15, 2011.

1. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

10/4 on the drying rack Mums. One of the best "tools" on my bench. Mine is a homemade affair whereby the finished flies hang on nylon cord.
    I've found when a fly hangs on grooved (twisted) cord it stays in place quite well and takes a pretty good knock to free it from its perch. If needed it is easy to place the rack out of reach from pets or children.

2. Chef

Chef New Member

I was thinking of making kinda like a hidden garbage area where I take a small round out of the desk where a drawer is and I can place all the garbage in there while I tie. Plus it keeps the clutter off the desk.

I have seen this done in a kitchen and like the idea.

Thanks Ed for the suggestions. I like the bowl. Are they big? No volume measurment on the web site.

3. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Active Member

One more rule: When at the fly shop buying supplies, if it ain't on your list, don't buy it. I don't know how many times I bought something not on my list I thought I needed and found I had 2 of them already back home. :beathead:

Dr Bob

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Chef, they are 4-5 inches in diameter. Easy way to make desk work, without cutting a hole out...drill two holes in the front edge. Cut a plastic coat hanger across the bottome, at the widest spot. A long straight piece. Push a bit of each tip into the holes you have spaced (about 1/2 the distance of the overall length of your piece of plastic coat hanger). Hanger inserted (and curved toward you), insert a small plastic grocery bag. Trim stuff, drop trimmings in there or sweep them to the front and off into the bag.

Get a hand vacuum. Simple, easy and always charged and at the ready.

Drill a smaller hole than you suggested and mount to it the nozzle of your shop vacuum. More force, don't drop anything you don't want to be gone.

Get as complex as you want. The neater you tie, the longer you'll tie hassle free in the house.

5. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Sorry Bob, ain't gonna happen.
    Your subconscience knows what flies you'll tie in the future that's why you come home with extra materials. Extra materials are only extra until you or someone else needs them! If it will help you feel better you can send your "thirds" to me, I'll hang on to them for you. :)

6. Chef

Chef New Member

Bob: inventory sheets my friend! :)

7. ansas

ansas The Good Ol' Days are Now!

No Rules, Just Right :) Ok, my-one-rule = Put the cap back on the head cement.