Damsel in Distress

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by floydiology, Sep 22, 2013.

1. floydiology board to the new

West Linn
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    I've been playing around with materials to create a lifelike and transparent damsel fly nymph. Now I just need to come up with some legs that I like.

[IMG]

• Hook: Articulated hook, Rear hook Daiichi 1770 #10 cut off at tail. Lead hook Daiichi 1130 #12
    • Thread: White 8/0 Uni-Thread for thorax
      Olive 8/0 Uni-Thread for thorax
    • Tail: Three olive dyed ostrich herl tips tied splayed.
    • Abdomen: White thread underbody. Black mylar pulled over the back and over wrapped with 1mm wide section of olive think skin.
    • Thorax: Olive tying thread with black mylar pulled over back. Tear drop shape formed with UV cured resin.
    • Wing/Wingcase: Wingcase formed with cutting a section of olive thin skin. This sectio is tied forward and then pulled back over the eyes and secured behind the eyes.
    • Legs: Olive/green dyed mallard flank
    • Head: Olive mono eyes
    • Notes: The articulated section is affixed to the lead hook with .009 monofilament. Several coats of UV cured resin are used to create the head/thorax section. The goal is to create a translucent section. The black mylar strand that is pulled along the back is to mimic the digestive tract of the insect.
    SLESSION and FinLuver like this.
  2. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +127 / 0
    What kind of resin do you use?
  3. floydiology board to the new

West Linn
    I used the loon outdoors thin.
  4. Larry Hardie New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Awesome fly!
  5. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    Whatever you do, don't let that sucker out of the vise. It will crawl up on something, hatch, & fly away. That is art & I am in awe. Thanks for posting.
    floydiology likes this.
  6. floydiology board to the new

West Linn
    Thanks Jim, Larry et. al!